Tethering Speed

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kevhui, Mar 11, 2010.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

I am planing to buy a WiFi iPad and used iPhone 3GS tethering, so I don't need to have another data plan for the iPad.

However, I worry about the speed.

I have MyWi installed in my iPhone A but do not have another iPhone B to test the speed. I mean, would it be faster when using iPhone A accessing 3G network, than using iPhone B to connect to iPhone A via Wifi tethering?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When I used to tether to my MacBook, I got the same download speed that my current location allowed from my iPhone to my Laptop.

I work just outside of downtown San Jose, and the 3G in that area is not great and I get very slow speeds, but at home I get about 1.8 Mbps download speed. But also, my MacBook has more RAM and a faster processor than my iPhone 3GS, so pages load a lot faster than on my phone, so until the iPad comes out, we won't know just how fast the iPad will be.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it wont really effect download speeds that much (maybe by a few KB/s) - the thing you will experience is a tad slower latency. e.g. sites wont load as fast. but yea nothing to cry over, it will still work!

4. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That's good news. I was thinking I may need the iPad 3G version.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you happen to have a nokia phone at all?

6. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

i tried tethering with my friend's 2G iPhone, it worked but the speed is pretty slow.

Hopefully since iPad has a faster CPU, speed will be improved.

7. raremage macrumors 6502a

Sorry, you mean tether the 2G thru the 3G? If you compare the 2G to the 3G on any wifi network the loads on the 3G will be significantly faster. I think it's safe to anticipate similar increases from the 3G to the iPad.

If you mean the opposite (anything tethered thru the 2G) then of course it will be slower due to the edge connection.