Tethering supposed to be so slow?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by corriewf, Oct 27, 2009.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I don't know if there is a conflict with my jailbreak or there is a problem with Windows 7, but tethering for me is beyond slow. I open up website and they partially load or don't load at all after sitting there for 5 minutes. I know tethering via bluetooth isn't supposed to be THAT fast but something seems wrong. Do you all have similar issues with tethering? Anyone with windows 7 having the same problem? Is there something I am doing wrong? I have tethering on, sleep set to never, connected using "as access point ".

* Tethering is enabled via Sinful hack *

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Maybe youre in a weak 3G area or somehow, which is nearly impossible with AT&T, the network could be slow. :p

3. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tested at my house, get between 3 bars and 5 bars with 3G. : - / Wonder if I would get a better experience with pdanet or something?

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The amount of bars shown doesn't indicate speed. You can have five bars and get edge speeds. Pdanet would be no different.

5. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the speed checks out, what could I troubleshoot next? Will test the speed in a bit. :)

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you have a slow 3G connection, there really is nothing you can do to improve it other than trying another part of your house. The rest is up to AT&T to improve on.

8. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I have tested. I am getting 1.378 mbps download and 232kbps upload. Is this bad? In my opinion it doesn't seem bad for download but slow upload. I should still be seeing faster connections me thinks.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Both of those speeds are good. Did you test this on your iPhone, or on your tethered PC?

10. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tested on my iPhone.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Do a speed test on the computer with it tethered.