Tethering- the carrier's way of getting the dumb to pay overage.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 5, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

So even be an effective tetherer you would need atleast 5-6gb of data to use. Most people are on the 1/2/4 gb plans and connecting multiple devices will burn up the space very quickly since on Verizon everything is shared data.

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I get furious when I think about the tethering fee. Pure, self-serving, arrogance as it adds ZERO value to the customer.

What the hell difference does it make HOW someone reaches their limit. The data burn is the same so it can only be so that they line their pockets

POSs

_

3. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I thought they dropped the fee? I know on Verizon it is free iirc from a recent google search. The only thing I know about using data is AT&T no FaceTime over celluar without mobile share. I guess that is their way of trying to reduce server load. But what good is a share plan if you're single?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I remember when I had a feature phone & was on prepaid... Telecom had to make the plans weird amounts: For example, $12, $18, $6, $21 etc purely because they knew the top ups only went up in tens $10, $20, $40 etc so you'd have to buy a $20 top up for a $12 plan, buy a $40 top up for a $21 plan... And you might think that you could just use the leftover money next time, but they take away the money if you don't spend it quickly :(

Them phone companies... All the same :(

5. dlj11166 macrumors newbie

With the shared data plan, Verizon no longer charges for tethering.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, because they charge an arm and a leg for the shared plans.
    Its pure corporate greed.

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Its price is driven by the market. They must be selling plenty or they would lower their prices. Basically they want to keep the data hogs limited speed, quantity and or cost to keep their networks working for the rest.

Get mad if you want but it is NOT going away, in fact I suspect the cost will get higher and higher!

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Love the u.k's networks!!

Unlimited data and tethering kerching!!