Tethering the i4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iluvifone, Jul 25, 2010.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I'll be getting my i4 this week (canada), and am curious how you guys tether it? Do you simply connect it by usb? bluetooth?

I'm asking because my netbook doesn't have bluetooth, so I thought i'd order one of those cheap USB bluetooth dongle's from ebay to get it on time if thats what i need. Can you please list all my options for tethering with Rogers?

Thanks

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Your options are USB and Bluetooth.
    Either one should be fine, though USB will likely be a bit faster (BT is pretty slow for data transfer like that).

3. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

It's very easy to do. I think you can work around bluetooth and connect using the USB cable.

I know my MacBook walks you through the set-up but I *think* the phone should be able to guide you through it as well.

Settings > General > Network > Internet tethering > on/off

I'm with Fido though so YMMV.

4. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1 on USB. BT is going to be usable, but it will be slower than having the phone plugged in via a USB cable.

5. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the quick responses.. so basically, since i'm connecting via USB, i guess i dont need any special cables or anything.. just the regular usb cable that i sync itunes with??

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I have done tests and USB is only a sec or 2 faster

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

If you're going to plug in a Bluetooth dongle into your USB port, might as well just use the USB cord to plug in your phone.

8. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Well actually, considering a dongle is the size of a quarter (http://www.cltra.com/images/products/201.jpg), vs a full length usb cord, i'd much rather a wireless option. but since u guys are saying it's a lot slower, i may as well just carry the sync cable with me

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not that much slower but it is good to carry the cable. You might need to charge for whatever reason and the cable is very handy. :)

BTW, Rogers lets you tether for free? God I'm hating AT&T right now. I have to pay an extra $20 every month and get the 2GB data plan (I'm on the 200MB plan) to tether. Thank God I got HandyLight before Apple pulled it off the App Store.

10. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

your phone's battery will drain faster on BT than with USB since it has to power 2 radios.

11. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah rogers tethering is free. i just read about the HandyLight app, lol what a sneaky 15 year old developer.

thanks to everyone for your input, i guess i'll just carry my usb cable along with me :)

12. pflau macrumors 6502

My experience has been that bluetooth is much easier. I could never get the USB tethering method to work.