Tethering the iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lazuliblue, Oct 27, 2012.

1. lazuliblue macrumors newbie

lazuliblue

Hello all :)

I was just wondering, I'm thinking about tethering the iPad mini to my iPhone 3GS. I was just wondering how much of a hassle it is in practical terms to switch on the hotspot on the phone, put in the password on the iPad etc? Can it be done relatively quickly or am I going to be sitting there for ages trying to sort it all out?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's very easy. Once you connect the iPad, it auto-connects every time you switch hotspot on.

Turning hotspot on is also very easy. Once it has been turned one once, it appears under Bluetooth in the Settings. Open Settings, click on Hotspot, and flip to on. That's it.

3. widestload macrumors regular

widestload

Setting up the hotspot is like any other wireless network, once you've set it up once it can remember the password. And the connection seems to remain so long as the two are close enough to be in range. I found however that once its broken to get it to connect again you need to go into settings and hotspot on the phone. You don't need to do anything once there, it's like going there makes it discoverable.

4. lazuliblue thread starter macrumors newbie

lazuliblue

Thank you for your quick response! Looks like the wi-fi version is the way to go...

And thank you widestload too!

5. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Skype now has WIFI hot spot for pay by time that can be a good way to go, sick and tiered of AT&T counting my data or limiting my unlimited data,

6. AlecEdworthy, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

WARNING! To my knowledge the iPhone 3GS does not have the wifi hotspot facility unless you jailbreak it and use a 3rd party application. I don't think an iPad will tether over Bluetooth sadly either.

Alec

7. lazuliblue thread starter macrumors newbie

lazuliblue

I think they can: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

But I may be wrong :confused:

8. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

That page states that the 3GS offers Bluetooth and USB tethering and that to connect to an iOS device for Internet Sharing/Hotspot using Bluetooth you need a device running Windows or Mac OS X 10.4.11 or greater. On that basis an iPad mini cannot connect to a 3GS I'm afraid.

9. lazuliblue thread starter macrumors newbie

lazuliblue

Ah, glad I came and asked then! So, being of limited technological knowledge, I can't understand whether it is because of the iPhone that it won't connect or because of the iPad?

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I tethered my iPad via Bluetooth earlier today. It does indeed work.

11. AlecEdworthy, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

You tethered an iPad to an iPhone via Bluetooth to use the iPhone's Internet connection on the iPad? Wow, I really did not think that was possible!

UPDATE: it seems it is indeed possible http://www.macworld.com/article/1159258/bluetooth_tethering.html I stand corrected and apologise for misleading you initially.

Alec

12. lazuliblue thread starter macrumors newbie

lazuliblue

This is good news indeed, thank you.

----------

No worries, thanks for taking the time to reply!