Tethering the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by edblor, Apr 29, 2010.

1. edblor macrumors regular

Need some help guys.

Aside from a jb iPhone, how would/could I tether my iPad cellularly?

Does Android do it natively? Is one Android phone better for this than another?

TIA

2. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

why go past the mywi iphone tether? it works the best!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think AT&T allows tethering so the droid would work but it has to be with another carrier or jailbreak an iPhone.

4. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

Oooops, I should have stated, I'm with Rogers in Canada.

I love my iPhone, but find I'm using it for apps and Internet less and less.

I have no qualms about moving over to, gasp, Android, for potentially easier Mifi or easier tethering use.

Is jb available for the latest release of iTunes?

I had the 1st gen iPhone, so jb is not totally foreign to me, but my 3GS is virgin.

5. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

6. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Check out the android option, Wifi Tether for Root Users.

To do this on android you are required to "root" your device (essentially jailbreaking but for android). Thisis incredibly simple to do but can be a bit overwhelming when you first start looking at it. Overall, after my first try it takes me under 30 mins to root my android phone (T-Mobile MyTouch3G).

Brief explanation of rooting: Rooting allows the user Root access to the device. This allows you more freedom and the ability to do things not originally allowed (installing custom firmware or "roms", overclocking the processor, etc.). Basically once you gain root access to the phone you would install a custom rom (firmware) which can be anything as simple as a re-skin or could add many new features and options.

Many of the custom roms (check out http://www.cyanogenmod.com/. This is one of the more popular options) add great new features and almost all allow for easy wifi tethering.

Let me know if you have other questions or need help getting started.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Isn't rooting an android device the same as jail breaking an iPhone? Why buy a new device to do the same thing? I know the pre and pixie plus on verizon have free wifi tethering out of the box. But your in Canada so that doesn't help.

8. FirePak macrumors regular

I use my old G1 with the latest cyanogenmod rom and http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/. As far as the iPad knows its on Wifi so i don't have any issues with apps requiring wifi. Whatever phone you get buy a extra extended battery.

9. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was hoping to hear.

I can get an older G1 pretty cheaply, and it'll suit my needs just fine.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Now back to the iPad 3G threads:eek: