Tethering vs. Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrdabney, Jun 12, 2011.

1. wrdabney macrumors member

Would it make sense financially and/or functionally to have tethering on your iPhone instead of paying for wireless Internet via router? For comparison purposes let's just say if I didn't get tethering on my phone I would get wireless service from AT&T. Which would be cheaper?

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

If you used your cell phone internet as your primary internet source you would most likely go over your 2gb or 5gb limit which would probably add up to more than what you would be paying for home internet. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to tether your phone to connect anything to the web at home.

3. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

Good point. But, our primary Internet being used will be at school. My wife is about to start vet school so she will be at the school a lot and I dont need it at home much.

4. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think it depends on how much data you intend to use. If you do any sort of video watching, be it youtube, netflix, or anything else you will more than likely go over your limit. Remember surfing on your pc is different than surfing on your phone. It's a lot easier to consume more data when using your computer.