Tethering. Who would know?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pagemakers, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

02 are going to charge £15 per month for 3GB of tethering in the UK (crazy when it is free with other handsets).

Question is, how would 02 know I was tethering?

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

To enable tethering you have to activate this feature with O2. If you used the O2_UK.ipcc file (which was doing the rounds during the Beta) with your newly updated iPhone 3G running 3.0 GM seed this would enable tethering without notifying O2.

As long as you didn't go crazy with your data then I would suspect that they will never know.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Is this O2_UK.ipcc file something I would install on my laptop?

4. magga macrumors regular

You would need to update the carrier file on your phone using the o2_uk.ipcc carrier file.

You can do this through iTunes by pressing option or cmd (or ctrl on Windows) when clicking the check for updates button I believe (I can't remember 100% now).

5. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

People are still using PDANET - and I have not heard any stories of the O2 police coming to arrest them.

There is a possibility that the 3.0 software handles tethering differently and flags every tethered data packet with some kind of "Stolen Data" message.

But it's not very likely.

I guess it will require some brave souls to try it out and see what happens.

C.

6. ginsters macrumors newbie

I'm running 3.0 GM and have installed the ipcc file and tethering works perfectly on windows and mac

f**k o2 and their ridiculous pricing bolt on