Tethering, why?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by maflynn, Mar 7, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm missing something on this whole tethering thing. Why do people want it when apple will be selling a 3G version?

Plus hooking up an iPhone to the iPad will be a bit unwieldy if not set on a desk. If that's the case using the ipad on a desk may not be to ergonomic

the only factor I can determine is cost - the 3G version is pricier and the data plan adds some cost. Of course apple is going to prevent tethering as it would have impact sales of the 3G model

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You answered your own question. Money is always the reason.

When people speak of tethering, it's either via Bluetooth, or via Wifi (with MiWi and JB). If you're on the road, just have your phone in your pocket. Done deal.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

People want tethering because there is nothing stopping Apple or AT&T from allowing it other than wanting more of your money.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

The reason I don't want to tether is battery life. So I will be getting a 3G iPad

5. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Fixed that for you. Apple has no financial reason whatsoever to prevent tethering.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The 3G model costs more. Whether or not Apple gives AT&T any of that remains to be seen, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

7. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I can assure you that Apples choice to provide a 3G version of the iPad is motivated by end user experience and not by money. I am saying that the tethering/no tethering thing doesn't effect Apple, they sell iPads regardless. It's only the telcos that have a claim that tethering would bite them on the ass.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well, I can tell you that Apple's offering of a cellular enabled iPad is definitely financially motivated.

Can you say: lost sales from those looking for a tablet/slate with internet connectivity whereever they are?

9. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I think you and I are chasing each other's tails. I am not saying that the creation of the 3G line isn't of financial gain to Apple at all I am saying that tethering is not an issue for Apple from a financial standpoint but it is for the telcos.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Ah I get you know. I missed out on that part in your original post.

Yes, but creating revenue for another company, especially for one placed vertically in the business model with the iPhone, would no doubt help with negotiations for revenue sharing deals down the track.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Thanks, but I put both Apple and AT&T in my post for a reason, and the debate going on just goes to show why.

12. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

I live in an area where my provider allows tethering. I have frequently used it with a laptop, and it's not nearly as cumbersome as some would suggest. I just hook up via blue tooth. The screen on the iPhone gets a blue frame that indicates you're tethering, and the connection is reasonably fast. It's not cumbersome at all. The iPhone just has to be nearby, perhaps in your pocket.

Battery life is not much different that it would be if I was surfing on the iPhone itself. Also, electricity is far more pervasive than wi-fi. I'm often in places where I can plug in my computer, and tether using the adapter cable instead of blue tooth. Everything is charging up as I surf - no sweat.

The reason I want to tether an iPad is that I already pay for huge data plan with my provider - I can lug around a notebook and tether it for free - why should it be anyone's business or why should they care what form factor I'm using to access the web? What's the deal if I use an iPad vs a MBP?

At some point ATT will allow tethering - and then it will be clear just why people will want to tether the iPad.

Why pay twice for the same thing? There's no reason.

13. WytRaven macrumors 6502

And at that same point Apple will enable tethering on the iPad. As "Steve" said in response to an email in another tethering thread, it is the carriers that dictate this, not Apple.

14. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Fixed again, no need to thank.

Apple has no reason to prevent tethering from their financial position, they sell product regardless. Telcos stand to lose double dipping if they allow tethering and so make a deal with Apple to restrict tethering in exchange for great data packages for 3G iPads (whilst double dipping on those already locked in on iPhone contracts).

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

There, since we're just a friendly bunch "fixing" each other's posts.

I also believe Apple is in a prime position to get AT&T to allow tethering. The fact that AT&T isn't even offering tethering for an additional charge is suspect to me. Why not allow iPhone tethering at the same rates for the iPad 3G access?

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i Want tethering because I already have an iphone so why would I want to pay $30 more a month and $130 more up front. Ill be getting a wifi model and using mifi on my JB 3GS for the few times I use my ipad outside of my home.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i find it acceptable for no tethering via iphone to ipad

reasons

3g ipad

moneyz

network performance

device performance (battery, speed)

adding it to the os

18. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Fair edit ;)

I agree that Apple probably will convince them eventually. One step at a time I guess.

Now my hope is that Apple can actually instigate change in Australia's current mobile broadband market where we have a massive monopoly by one very gluttonous company.

Telstra's current mobile broadband deals (that come anywhere close to unlimited):

Prepaid: AU$150 for 4GB expiring in 180 days
    Contract: AU$120/month, 24 month lock-in, 10GB/month before shaping.

That is utterly revolting! I actually feel embarrassed that an Australian company could be that greedy and that abusive toward it's customer base. Let's hope Apple can have an impact here...

(Disclaimer: I know there are others that provide cheaper deals but they are not Australia-wide @ 3G speeds, only capital cities and some high population areas)

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

Considering AT&T has promised tethering for 6+ months and likely won't show up anytime soon, I will tether via a Jailbreak app that makes my iPhone a Mifi device. I already pay $30/mo for a data plan that gets very little use per month unless I watch my Slingbox for hours on end. AT&T clearly does not have the best coverage, so until they get their S#^t together, I'm not paying a redundant data fee. Show me 4g or LTE with consistent speed and coverage in a metro area and I'll think about paying them twice for the same service. Until then, I'll pass.