Tethering WiFi through USB to iMac

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pilopew, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Pilopew macrumors member

Hi guys,

After I finally revived my iMac G4, and forcefully installed Leopard on it, I was wondering: I don't have a WiFi card in it, but I do have an iPhone 3G.
    Can I tether the Wifi-connection from my iPhone to the iMac through USB?
    I've already tried PdaNet, but it fails to install for me, get all sorts of errors, and no internetz...-.-

Anyone know of an alternative way?

Cheers

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes, i recommend the commcenter hack with the stealth ipcc file. You can then activate tethering via USB and you can then use the wifi or cell network for your Mac.

3. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

It sounds like he's only interested in using wifi through his iPhone (essentially turning it into a wifi adapter) and not 3G. I haven't heard of anything that can do that.

4. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have no Cellular Data network. I know PdaNet can tether a WiFi connection through USB, but seeing it doesnt work...:/

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

OK, maybe you both need to take some reading comprehension courses...

6. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

Please dont take offense to the fact I missed that. I didnt see the wifi-part, and when I googled the comcast hack, I saw alot about tethering the cellular data network, and nothing about the WiFi tethering. I guess that went without saying.
    Thanks for your suggestion, I think itll be the solution.
    No need for frustration.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

No frustration on my part. The reason you see a lot of talk about the commcenter using cellular data is that's what most people are after. The hack actually tethers your mac to your iPhone, what ever means your iPhone is using to connect to the internet, the commcenter hack will allow your Mac to "see" it.

8. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

Ohhhh ok right I understand!
    So, I tried the CommCenter hack last night. It resulted in crashing my 3G and I had to reinstall. Doesnt really matter, but I think it's because the guide was a bit outdated. Would you by any chance have a guide, or CommCenter patch for the 3G of which you are sure it would work? Im running 3.1.3, if that matters.

Thanks

9. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

Necrobump

Sorry for the necrobump, but the commcenter patch nor the tethering patch did it, seeing they need Snow Leopard, and my machine is only capable of Leopard. Still thanks for the suggestions!

So would anyone know of a WiFi-specific technique that is Leopard PPC capable?

Thanks

10. Matchpik macrumors newbie

I know this is another case of Forum Necromancy, but I have an old 1GHz G4 iMac that I'd like to actually utilize at work for looking at datasheets, ordering off digikey, etc. but I can't use the company network so I'd like to tether it to my rooted, unlocked HTC Evo 4G.

Any idea if I can do this?

-Matthew

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

hmm, these forums primarily focus on iOS devices. have you tried posting on the xda developers forums?