tethering windows mobile device with my mac over usb

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

ive heard of being able to tether my windows mobile device with my mac over bluetooth but not usb
    does anyone know how to tether to my mac over usb

thanks

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

You should be able to do that. There's a program called PocketMac, and it will work with certain versions of Windows Mobile. However the software is not free for windows mobile devices. It is free for blackberries.

3. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

isnt that a app for only syncing? i want to tether my phone via usb to my mac tethering is specifically sharing internet from the phone to the mac

thanks anyway

and if it is able to tether please tell me:)

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yes it is VERY possible. I did it with my wife's MB and my Treo 750 on our way to a hotel to confirm directions and reservations.

On the WM device there's an "Internet Sharing" icon that will allow (at least on both Win and Mac) you to use it as a 'DUN' of sorts.

You just need to connect it via BT and turn on the internet sharing. The "Services" that are communicated between mobile device and your Mac should automatically register as internet connection on the Mac.

Believe me it's very much possible.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Don't phone companies require you to pay for tethering?

I've also heard tethering via an ad-hoc network with WiFi-enabled cell phones, not sure if its just the iphone.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yes they do. However, if used *cough* sparingly you won't use much bandwidth. However, the question was if it was possible and the answer is yes it is. I would assume that the OP would have the appropriate services in place. If not, it's the OP who pays the price and not our subject to debate.

I've done it since it's built in to Windows Mobile and not 'locked' out, but I used it once or twice for quick emergency type use while I had a data plan last year with ATT.