Tethering with 3GS on wifi at starbucks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nozebleed, Jul 1, 2009.

1. nozebleed macrumors 6502

If I tether my mb at starbucks, where i have free wifi (AT&T) do I use the wifi or my data contract?

2. Benjic macrumors regular

You would only be tethering your iPhone for the intent of using the iPhone's internet connection, so you would be using the iPhone's data.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You can't tether a wifi connection.

4. rvancil macrumors member

Yes you can...I've been tethering at Starbuck through my 3GS with my 13" Macbook Pro...It allows you to surf for unlimited time, and you don't have to log in like you do with your computer...Its sweet!

5. ohkuipo macrumors member

Question about tethering... does it "share" the IP address of the modem (iPhone) with the device it's tethering (laptop)? ie., does the iPhone give the laptop its IP, or does the laptop count as a separate device on the network, and obtain a unique address?

If it has a unique address and thus a separate device, I wonder why you can bypass the network's login restrictions. If it has the same address, I could see why it would behave that way.

6. nozebleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was too. I noticed the wifi bars, but was just wondering if i was using my 3g data or the wifi. Im pretty sure it'd have to be the wifi, no? how would the phone be connected to the wifi, but tether the 3g? :confused: i was too lazy to check my data used on my att account, i dont think i could find out that way anyways due to the lag in showing what ive used so far

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

If your iPhone's wifi is turned on, and shows a connection, you're using wifi.
    I had my iPhone tethered to my desktop at home, and just to test it out, turned wifi off on the phone. Everything suddenly loaded slower, as it was now using the 3G network instead of being connected to my home's wifi network.

8. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

how do you do that? i would love to do that. i have a 3g (non jailbroken and running 3.0) and a macbook, so how do i set this up?

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I believe you have to have the modified 5.0 carrier file (enables tethering and MMS, MMS still unusable unless you get AT&T to switch you to a non-iphone txting plan), or be jailbroken.

Warning, many people with the 5.0 carrier file are experiencing their visual voicemail being inoperative. You can listen to past messages, but it will not load new ones. This happened to everyone I know who did the 5.0 carrier file.

If you'd like to enable tethering and attempt to enable MMS, follow instructions here:
    http://www.krillr.com/blog/QLB36JMS/alright-folks-new-mms-hack

10. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

i was hoping i wouldnt need to jailbreak or use a hacked file. i guess it would make sense to be able to tether using wifi without paying att. oh well.