tethering with iphone sim in another phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Jun 30, 2007.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

your new iphone sim is connected to an account that allows unlimited browsing but the iphone cant be tethered. you put the new sim in a phone that can be tethered, does it work now?

seems like a pain solution but it would allow a notebook to be connected if you go on a trip or something.

thanks
    mike

2. appleii2mac macrumors regular

It's been reported (on howardforums) that the data plan will work in other smartphones/pda's. So I would assume if the other phone that you put it into supports tethering, then it wouldn't be a problem. Might be able to give it a try early next week.

3. meagain macrumors 68030

Saw this post on Howard:

"I have a few iPhones. One is still waiting to be activated. 38 hours so far. But if I take out the iPhone SIM, it does work fine in my Razr. SO At least I have my phone back while waiting."

4. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

at&t specifically said you can do this in their training manual for the iPhone.

5. appleii2mac macrumors regular

I think what they said was that you can use the data plan in another phone. That's really not the same thing as tethering (although it is required for it).

I doubt very much that the training manual said it was OK to use the iPhone SIM for tethering.

6. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    I asked the same question. Have a look down-thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322523

7. Superauto89 macrumors newbie

I'm currently posting tethered to my samsung blackjack which has the iphone sim in it. It still works full speed 3G (blackjack does).

8. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    That is good information to have. Thanks for letting us know.

9. austincharles macrumors newbie

So it seems that the service provided by AT&T is all it has to offer and depending on the hardware you have -- iPhone vs. Blackjack -- it will reflect the speeds it is capable of..?

10. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm confused.... The iPhone's sim in your 3g blackjack... The blackjack doesn't run 3g on the laptop but EDGE - right?

I need to figure out what the cheapest phones are that can do this.

11. meagain macrumors 68030

12. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

So could I go out and buy a blackjack today and convince the salesperson to give me the iphone data plan with it?

13. McCarron macrumors regular

The Blackjack is capable of using a similar plan called the Media Max 200 data plan. Same thing/price as the iPhone plan just without Visual Voicemail. The problem is, every salesman will tell you different things if the Media Max 200 plan is for a Blackjack or not. Don't listen, just buy it without one and then remove it later.