Tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princealfie, Oct 23, 2008.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Considering that we can't tether using the iPhone, what is the next best cell phone that I can switch my iPhone SIM card to tether with? Thanks!

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

You can tether if you jailbreak. If you dont want to do that, I dont know what others tether except for Blackberrys, but even then I dont think that you can just switch your sim, you have to upgrade to a blackberry plan.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Depending on price and what you can get cheaply:

-An AT&T 3G phone with bluetooth.
    -An unlocked phone (Nokias are great, especially Symbian ones, since they have wifi as well and you can get joiku hotspot for tethering. Sucks battery life dry from the phone but if you're stationary and plugging the phone and computer into a wall then it's not so bad.)
    -An unlocked/AT&T windows mobile phone. Windows Mobile phones offer internet sharing, plus if the phone has wifi there's wmwifirouter which turns the phone into a router like joiku hotspot does for Nokias.

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Sounds good. I think that Blackberry makes it easy to tether for both Mac and Windows. I don't want to jailbreak or find Netshare honestly. Too much trouble than it is worth since I am going to be tethering about 1/3 of each month.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Blackberry and Windows Mobile both have utilities to make tethering dead easy. The biggest problem with a blackberry is going to be that it's not 3G (unless you buy a bold or sign up with a CDMA carrier) so you're going to suffer through very slow internet. A 3G winmob device will get you much better speeds.

Also, with the rate HTC is slamming phones out, you could probably pick up an unlocked WinMob with 3G for significantly less than a blackberry...just look on ebay or craigslist.

6. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Cool beans, thanks for your advice. Will look into both options :)