Tethering??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Breadfan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Breadfan macrumors newbie

Breadfan

I installed the 3.0 software, how does the tethering work?
    I can't seem to find it in the settings etc. btw..

Thanks in advance!!

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I'm in UK and its under Settings>General>Network

There's a button to tap called set up internet tethering but o2 don't activate it until the 19th over here.

3. Breadfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Breadfan

That's strange, i can't see that...
    I'll keep on trying!

Thanks!

4. The-Other-Guy macrumors newbie

If you are in the USA - ATT says NO BUT...

check out this link.... I love CNET http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html?tag=mncol;posts

If you look further down in the notes they have a better way that reads as follows.

Well I tried this and low and behold it worked! You do not have to downgrade itunes. this is what you do:
    1. You also need to download the carrier settings file listed above and save it somewhere ( I chose desktop)
    2. then copy this: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
    3. then open terminal on a mac that you sync itunes with. then paste the copied info into terminal and hit enter.
    4. once you have this then you just sync your iphone, then after it says ok to disconnect, then hold options and click restore.
    5. It will then ask you to chose what file to restore. search and go to where you saved the att carrier file
    it is called (att_us.ipcc) it will NOT be grayed out if you run that terminal command. If by chance it is grayed out, run the command again, then go to options restore and it will then be available to click on.
    6. Chose the file and restore. It will then add it to your iphone as the instructions above show
    7. once done you can go into settings on iphone while its connected to your computer, then go to general, then network and you will see where you can turn tethering on. I was so excited. I also agree that it is pretty fast with 3g service.

I love the new update plus I got it 2 min after the open so I got in before the registration problems. I have been texting my brother telling him at the end of each text "- TILM" -- typed in landscape mode... LMAO .. He is pissed.