iPad Tetherme: dissapointed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oldmankit, Jul 10, 2012.

1. oldmankit macrumors newbie

Howdy,

I've recently jailbroken my ipad 2 for the first time. The only reason I did this was to share its 3G connection.

I tried MyWi and thought it worked OK, but was over-priced. If you consider what amazing power you get from some apps for a fraction of the price, it seemed too much to pay just for simple hotspot functionality. So after reading some reviews, I purchased tetherme.

And now it looks like I was misinformed: no option to set up a wifi network - only USB? Not what I wanted : (

Have I misunderstood? Is there any way to get a refund for 'mistaken' purchases?

Thanks,
    oldmankit

2. hamsup1o macrumors member

Did you go into Settings > Personal Hotspot and enable it?

3. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure. It says "your iPads internet connection is being shared over USB." There is no option for wifi. Only Bluetooth and USB.

I also tried restarting the iPad and resetting the network settings, as has been suggested elsewhere. There's simply no option for wifi. The only thing that mentions wifi is settings - tetherme - wifi options - keep broadcasting. But there's no option to start broadcasting in the first place.

Thanks for your reply though.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I use TetherMe as a wifi hotspot all the time, it's on my iPhone though. Don't think it would be different.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

weird mine works just fine..

[​IMG]

6. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for putting the screen shot up.

Mine looks the same, except there is no wifi section. Only Bluetooth and USB.

Are you using iPad 2? Which version of IOS and Tetherme?

Thanks so much for the help. I'm still waiting to hear back from the developers.

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Do you need to have WiFi turned on for it to show up?

8. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried that :-/

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mines on the new ipad, version 2.3-9
    thats really strange yours is like that.

10. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that the iPad 3?

I thought that the iPad 3 was capable of making a wifi hotspot without jailbreaking. But that's a topic for another thread...

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yep ipad 3, and only the verizon one is. :) mines at&t

12. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that explains it. Since I see from your screenshot that we have exactly the same settings screen except that mine has no section for wifi, that Tetherme does not allow you to create a wifi hotspot with the iPad 2.

"Personal hotspot"? I don't call a USB connection hot. It sure ain't hot when you want to use internet on your Nokia phone. Don't think that apple cable is going to fit intro that little micro USB port.

Am I wrong? Are any iPad 2 users having success here?

I am still waiting to hear back from the developer. At least it was only five bucks. Disappointed mainly because I don't want to pay for overpriced software, but unless I want to struggle with a cracked version (which I don't), it looks like I'll be paying 20 bucks for MyWi.

13. hamsup1o macrumors member

Sorry just noticed you are using an iPad 2. In TetherMe's description:

"Not compatible with 1st-Gen iPhone. WiFi is enabled for iPhone4, 4S, and the New iPad"

14. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I obviously failed to read everything carefully before purchasing it!

So the issue is resolved: Tetherme is useless for creating a WiFi hostpot on the iPad 2.

I wonder if a refund will ever come.

----------

I'm new to these forums.

Is there a way to mark a thread as solved?

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I had iphone 3G/3GS and personal hotspot only allows USB and bluetooth.

Since the developers stated in their description regarding the compatibility, i don't think they should/will refund it.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mywi might allow you to do a wifi hotspot? i know its pricey but yeah.

17. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, MyWi works fine. I've already shelled out for it. I don't mind spending twenty dollars on an app, if I feel the app is worth that much, but in this case I think it's just over-priced. They probably know the competition can't compete.

18. rrandyy macrumors 6502

You don't mind paying if you think it's worth it. You did pay for it. There is no competition. Sounds to me like they priced it appropriately, no?

19. oldmankit thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really want to get into an argument about pricing, so I'll just say that they could have priced it more, and I still would have bought it, but that at the end of the day, customer satisfacion is important. The fact that I feel this is over-priced will come into every conversation I have about it, and I would not be able to heartily recommend it to anyone purely on this basis.

An example of an expensive app that I heartily recommend is Sygic. This is about the same price (I think) but it transforms my ipad into a satellite navigation system. It has completely changed the way I ride my motorbike around this overwhelming city, and how many Sundays I can get out of Bangkok into surrounding areas.

Three cheers for appropriately priced, amazing apps!

20. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Fair enough. :)

21. kokhean macrumors regular