TetherMe or MyWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cooolpenner, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

2. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know miwi is $20, but I use it the most and like it better. Plus, I think this exact question was on here a couple of days ago.

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I use Tetherme, mostly because it uses the native personal hotspot area that comes with your phone

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are both great tethering apps.
    MyWi is a little more expensive but has many more usefull features.
    If you want to spend less and just get the basic native tethering TetherMe would do.
    I went with MyWi.

5. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Spot on. TetherMe is great if you just want the basic tethering. MyWi does a bit more, but also costs quite a bit more. So it's pretty much down to just deciding which is more important for your situation, the extra features or the price.

6. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Surprised no one mentions PDA Net. I'm using that an it works fantastically. It gives you the option to "hide" your tethering as mobile websites.

7. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

whats the point paying for mywi the iPhone can theter via wifi...

and I thought att knows if you use mywi and automatically charges u

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iphone can tether only if your provider enables that feature or if they do enable it some charge a monthly fee.
    And AT&T can find out if you tether unofficially using MyWi, Tetherme or any hack out there. Usually if you use it a little they wont bother but if you let it get out of hand they will send you a warning and if you continue they will add the tethering package to your account.

9. TaterToT macrumors 6502

10. Cooolpenner thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks to everyone...
    I think I'll try tetherme first and maybe buy MyWi later

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I went with mywi long ago when it was 5-10 dollars if I remember I probably wouldn't pay 20 for it though.

Does tetherme offer USB, Bluetooth and the option to create a infrastructure or adhoc network?

Guess it really depends on what your needs are. I can say that mywi is very reliable in being a wifi hotspot used to use it to download tunes or cars on the go

12. Pinky1 macrumors newbie

Tethering APN change

can someone answer a question? I have tethering enabled but i want to use a different APN than the preset one. If i try to change it on the phone the personal hotspot option goes away. (a known bug of Apples's which doesnt allow apn editing of the tethering apn).

Do any of these apps allow the editing of the APN being used for the tethering?

Thanks

Alex

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

if you mean the name of your wireless network you are creating miwi allows you to name it whatever you like.

14. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

i prefer tether me , is cheaper and just looks like native thether app !!

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I use tetherme due to the simplicity. I rarely use it only on those rare occasions that I am out with my girlfriend and she needs it for her wifi-only iPad.

16. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

the one thing I dislike about tether me is the fact that you can have it enabled all you want, but you won't actually see the network unless you are in the personal hotspot screen.

unless this happens to nobody else but me...

17. solo118 macrumors 65816

I got tetherme as well just based on the price, as I seldom use it.

A friend of mine had Mywi and it looked awesome, but I can't see myself paying $20 for something I won't use that often.

18. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

the option to continually broadcast was actually just included in todays update according to the notes

19. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

hmm.... guessing that uses a lot more battery...

20. Pinky1 macrumors newbie

unfortunately not the SSID of the WIFI network. the APN is the access point used my the mobile carrier to access data.

21. iToNe24 macrumors regular

i bought tetherme because of price but i cannot get it to work. when i enable and setup password, when i go to my mac n put in password i get error that it needs a wpa2 password. Why is this ... i am using more then 8 characters and letters and numbers

think i figured it out ... u need to have wifi enabled on phone ... my wifi was linking up to my home router when i was trying to test

22. DrManchester macrumors newbie

23. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I got MyWi and whats cool is it adds a very nice toggle to the IntelliscreenX toggle widget in NC so i never have to open the app, all i have to do is toggle MyWi

24. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Tetherme imo, just based on the fact that it is cheaper and works flawlessly.

It uses the native tethering, so you can't get any more flawless than that.

Combined with NCSettings for the toggle, what more could you ask for? Unless you need that data counter.