General TetherMe questions? iPhone 5 Cydia JB.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by URXP2ME, Feb 6, 2013.

1. URXP2ME macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area. I've got some questions about TetherMe, the Cydia tweak available after jaibreak, and this is about the chances of being caught. I know how the tweak works, because I tested it just for giggles today. :)

I've got AT&T, first of all. I'm in a grandfathered unlimited plan. I don't plan on using the tethering often, only on the occasional weekend when I'm at the lake. What are my chances of being sent the "ToD" by AT&T? Also, how many times would they send you the "ToD" before they take action and bring you to their 4GB & tethering plan? I usually use about 4g a month, usually a little over. I'm a noob to this tethering stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

As I said before, I'm new here, so don't hound me about not looking far enough into the forums, I just want an answer to my personal question.

Thanks, and have a terrific day. -URXP2ME

2. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

There are a ton of threads on this but the short answer is it depends. ATT will very likely detect your activity but its far from certain they will do anything about it.

I know many that never got busted despite heavy use and others that did on the first try.

3. URXP2ME thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I've decided I'd rather not risk it.

4. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Just my $.02 is for you to get busted by AT&T you'd have to abuse tethering. If your normal usage is say 4GB a month and you only tether every once in a while and it goes to 5GB, You'd be safe. I'm only going on a guess here, but I'd say unless you double your usage and/or go over 10GB, they probably won't notice you.

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

You'd think but that's not what actually happened. Many people got the dreaded txt from AT&T the first time they tethered with no appreciable data increase. Others have sucked down 2-3X normal and not gotten busted.

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

It has to do with the APN's used for tethering. If a tether app is lazy, they will use YOUR PROVIDERS APN's instead of a stealth one. They just pick the one that your provider would have you use...Its a no brainer when this is done.

Back when I had android phones and ran cyanogenmod, the tethering was done correctly. No one got caught that I know of. Looks like iOS devs are lazy or simply dont understand. I think its crap that they charge as much as they do (android was free) and then use a carrier's APN...