TetherMe Vs. MyWi

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Tos, Apr 6, 2011.

1. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I have and iphone 4 on 4.3.1 JB'd with redsnow. I also have the unlimited data plan. I want to purchase one of these two tethering apps but was looking for some advice before doing so. Basically looking to see which of these is a better more stable program. I understand that tetherme roots into the personal hotspot feature, which is nice. I see that mywi has a sbsettings feature now too. So i am torn. Really would probably go with whichever one is more stable. Thank you in advance.

2. iceman027 macrumors member

you can search the 10 other threads about this for starters

3. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

Mywi has a few additional settings that improve battery life, but other than that they are pretty much identical.

I did go with mywi over tetherme though, I liked the fact it tracked your data usage while tethering.

4. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I just did a search with your thread title and saw a number of comparison threads. They give detailed info and you probably will get further more quickly.

TetherMe is integrated into your normal route via settings on your phone vs having to click an icon on your springboard for MyWi.

TetherMe, as I've read, will mask your outer device to look like your phone while surfing whereas MyWi may not.

TetherMe doesn't use anymore battery power than organic use of the phone whereas MyWi does use more battery power but has a power-level setting that would inherently increase/decrease battery consumption.

In the other threads the smart guys really get to the nitty gritty of the software differences and their characteristics so that maybe something you may want to check out.

5. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the replies. I will look into it.

6. outphase macrumors 65816

If you want the SBSettings icon, you can just install the tethering toggle via cydia. It toggles the native tethering setting which is what TetherMe enables.