MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The "super simple, surprisingly challenging" puzzle game Shades, by developer UOVO, has been named by Apple as this week's App of the Week. Launched last year, and also featured in the App Store's "Best New Games" section, the game usually costs $1.99 to download.

The game takes inspiration from Tetris, with falling blocks of varying color hues - instead of shapes - needing to be slotted into the correct position by the player. Matching hues make darker colors, resulting in chain moves that can knock out entire rows of blocks.

Screenshot-136.png
A mesmerizing, calming, zen-like experience that quickly evolves into a devilishly challenging puzzler. Meditation + Panic. It's a fantastic combo.

A very simple game that will challenge you to think very fast.

"Surprisingly difficult!" ~ The guys who made it.

Features:
- Simple rules
- Intuitive gameplay
- Difficult to master
- 3 modes of play. Easy. Medium. Hard.
- Beautiful, colorful, minimalist design.
- Sound design by ONBC
The longer players spend in the game and the better they become, the quicker the game evolves into a frantic rush to slot blocks into the correct position as they fall faster and faster.

The game currently sits at a solid 4.5 star rating in the App Store, with one review calling it "Tetris meets 2048" and many others praising its addictiveness alongside the challenging nature the game slowly builds up to. Shades: A Simple Puzzle Game can be downloaded for free for the next week from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tetris-Like Puzzle Game 'Shades' Named Apple's Free App of the Week

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I got this a few months ago. It's fun, there's just a point where it goes too fast to the point it's no longer possible to play.

Yeah I picked it up last night and holy crap does that speed ramp up! Fun to play for a bit though. Original Tetris also used to ramp up quickly—either that or I just remember it that way because I was so little.

The first time I played this I had this feeling that I was just floating along. Somehow I kept managing to keep it going, even though I didn't completely understand what my brain was doing to play the game so well. It was like this weird disconnect. I've played Tetris too many times and different ways to count since getting it on the original Gameboy when I was like 5. Bejeweled too. This game felt instantly familiar, but it's just weird—in a good way.

I think the developer should start up with cool colors and gradually change the colors on the board to warm colors as you ramp up the levels and speed. But maybe tone down the actual speed. Having the colors change would indicate increased difficulty and intensity but would also add difficulty in matching exact tones. Slowing down the speed would help compensate for the added difficulty while allowing the player to play longer. As it is now, when you get to a certain point the block has already cleared two or three rows down before you can even tell it where to go. Either that or I still need to work on my form. Like I said, just got it last night before bed.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah I picked it up last night and holy crap does that speed ramp up! Fun to play for a bit though. Original Tetris also used to ramp up quickly—either that or I just remember it that way because I was so little.

The first time I played this I had this feeling that I was just floating along. Somehow I kept managing to keep it going, even though I didn't completely understand what my brain was doing to play the game so well. It was like this weird disconnect. I've played Tetris too many times and different ways to count since getting it on the original Gameboy when I was like 5. Bejeweled too. This game felt instantly familiar, but it's just weird—in a good way.

I think the developer should start up with cool colors and gradually change the colors on the board to warm colors as you ramp up the levels and speed. But maybe tone down the actual speed. Having the colors change would indicate increased difficulty and intensity but would also add difficulty in matching exact tones. Slowing down the speed would help compensate for the added difficulty while allowing the player to play longer. As it is now, when you get to a certain point the block has already cleared two or three rows down before you can even tell it where to go. Either that or I still need to work on my form. Like I said, just got it last night before bed.

Yeah, I tried it again just after posting that. The hard mode isn't that bad, I can do it for a little bit, but then I start getting fatigued. My brother showed me aa the other day (which I had been putting off because I really didn't like that the developer has like 20 different apps which all looked the same) and I got to like level 20 within 15 minutes, but by the time I got to level 29 ten minutes later my brain was just fizzing out.

It does feel very similar overall (hence the title of this thread, heh). I have that old Game Boy version on my 3DS that I got for free with my Club Nintendo points. It's very good! I grew up with the Microsoft Entertainment Pack version. The 2-player mode was always a blast. I think it's like at level 8 on there where it gets too much.

If they made it to change colors, that'd would require clearing the board. Possible, and I'm sure if a Shade 2 comes out they'll think about doing it that way.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
iOS 7 required?

Frankly, this should work on older versions of iOS too, even my first-generation iPod touch with iOS 3 would be able to run this game easily.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
If they made it to change colors, that'd would require clearing the board. Possible, and I'm sure if a Shade 2 comes out they'll think about doing it that way.

Clearing the board would be an interesting game mode. Like after getting to certain point values it clears the board with a new color. But what I was talking about is just changing the color of everything when leveling up, including existing blocks. It just might throw your brain off enough to switch matching certain hues while in the middle of the game—and gives an indication of progress. If you get really far (like past red) they could even make the blocks flicker a little bit, or shift in color slightly to add difficulty. Or maybe shimmer or glow. But that would only be if they reduced the speed quite a bit in the higher levels. There's lots of interesting things you can do with color—I'm surprised that I haven't seen more games like this considering the evident simplicity. Makes me want to go make a game myself. I just have more experience designing apps than coding, but I do know some code and sprite kit is supposed to be easy to work with. Hmmm…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.