Tetris Update installer bricked my iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mobile923, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to hate this phone.

Anyone else?

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

was your phone jailbroken?

This is a bogus post, you are just looking for attention!!!

3. Mobile923 thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, no. it's not jailbroken.

This is not a cry for attention.

This is a warning for anyone who tries to update Tetris.

Why would I spend money on apps like Tertris, and THEN jailbreak it, risking anymore bugs to run this phone to the ground?

I'm just beginning to hate this phone because it's been nothing but problems since I upgraded to 3G.

4. inx13 macrumors newbie

it is a **** phone

Nokia, I was wrong! All is forgiven!

5. Mobile923 thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously, I was about to become a fanboy... lol

As soon as I upgraded to 2.0.2:

-iTunes media swallowed into "Other" capacity about 2 or 3 times
    -Wi-Fi and 3G turned their other cheeks to me, only EDGE stuck around to play
    -App Updater turned my phone from an Apple to a vegetable

I've restored this phone about 4 times already and I can't even get this iPhone back to the restore "plug into iTunes" screen.

iPhone 3G has officially died on me, thanks to an update released a week after the 30 day return period. k, i'm done ranting.

...anyone have the 2.0 installer?

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

There is no "Tetris Update" installer. All apps are installed by the iPhone, they don't run installers. So Tetris did nothing to you, you just hit a bug. And it probably didn't "brick" the phone, what you need to do is reset it - hold the home button and the lock button down for like 10 seconds until the system resets.

7. Mobile923 thread starter macrumors 6502

"Tetris Update" installer - you know what I'm talking about.

I purchased "TETRIS" from the App Store, today I got a notification for an UPDATE for it, and the phone reset to the Apple logo during the INSTALL of it.

if there's an official, technical term for it, please correct me. but either way, like i said, you know what I'm talking about.

And yes it is bricked. It's been displaying the Apple logo for over an hour now. Even after hard resets, nothing but Apple logo. Plugged in to iTunes and it doesn't even see the phone. Everything was copasetic between my Restore yesterday, and this update to Tetris.

Tetris may not have been the sole cause of this crash, but I think it's safe to say the "Tetris Update installer bricked my iPhone."

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

No, because you are specifically blaming Tetris, and it's not related to Tetris at all, since it's the phone doing the installing. All apps are installed the exact same way by the device, so warning people against updating Tetris isn't going to help anyone. Your problem could have happened with any app.

As to your problem, that is very bizzare, going to the Apple screen with no errors at all; I've never heard of that. Sounds like you may have a hardware defect.

9. Mobile923 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tetris was the last of two apps I was updating this morning. The updater "loaded" (fully downloaded), then it started to "install", then flashed to the apple logo.

I let it sit for about 20 mins, then did a hard reset, then it sat on the same screen for about another 20 mins, repeated a hard reset, plugged into iTunes after that, then reset to the restore screen with the "plug into iTunes" screen, apple logo appeared again, and iTunes will not recognize the iPhone.

10. robhedin macrumors regular

Sure, but the issue is with the installer, not with Tetris-- apps have no control over the update/installation process, this is all built into the iPhone.

The problem is that the iPhone OS 2.0.2 appears to be very, very buggy and while it may help fix some people's 3G access, there are many reported significant problems with the entire application ecosystem when running it ranging from "bricked" devices to not being able to run any applications at all.

rob.

11. Mobile923 thread starter macrumors 6502

Odd, I was explaining my situation to a coworker, I held the phone to my face muttering some obscenities, and proceeded to show him the black screen of death, then the slide to unlock screen appeared.

it then proceeded to ask me for my iTunes password, I'm guessing to continue the tetris update, and stupidly enough, I entered it.

but hey, better off to see if it does what it's supposed to other than going by the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it attitude"

tetris installed, it works, media is intact, data and calls are two way and I'm posting from my iPhone as we speak.

apple: wtf

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I've had the same thing happen several times when either updating apps or installing them through iTunes. The iPhone crashes, reboots, and gets stuck at the boot screen. And no, a hard reset does not fix this. Only entering DFU and restoring brings the phone back from the dead. I can deal with a lot of the bugs in the 2.x.x software, but having to restore my phone every couple of days is NOT acceptable. the last time this happened was right before i was about to leave for work today- crash and freeze. had to be late for work because i had to restore my 3G yet again... :mad:

13. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I updated this morning have had no problems with it.

14. Okes macrumors newbie

Mine did exactly the same this morning too, updating to the new cookie solitaire app. Really struggled to get the phone to connect to itunes to do a restore and then the backup wouldn't restore so now I'm waiting for the syncing to complete... :(
    Don't think I'm going to be getting anything from the app store again until this is fixed, really can't be bothered with the possibility to have go through this every time. :mad:

15. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

I refuse to update on the phone itself. I've had this happen twice (it's not a specific app's fault, like Tetris). The phone is buggy!!!!!!

I was so happy pre-2.0 but was looking forward to the apps.

Now it's a mixed bag. I like having apps, but the bugs are putting a sour taste in my mouth.