Texas Software Engineer Daven Morris Also Reported FaceTime Bug to Apple One Day Before it Made Headlines

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

The kid reported it first, who cares about anyone else and apple is rightfully compensating him. The 27 year old is just looking for attention. Good job, you discovered a bug that a child and his mom already discovered and reported.

2. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

This guy probably just wants to get paid.

You were late buddy.

3. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

One of the bags I reported to Apple was at least three years old at the time. Nobody had ever actually reported it to Apple before. They fixed it next point release and gave me credit for discovering it.

Should I not have reported it? Is reporting bugs a bad thing suddenly? Was I attention seeking?

Please get over yourself and be grateful for that guy, too. He’s probably the reason Apple was able to shut down the service the same day the bug went public. Apple’s support team seems to have been keeping the teenager’s report from development.

4. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

The media should stop reporting on things you are not interested in.

5. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

How is it newsworthy to report that someone else noticed the bug just before it went public? I’d actually be surprised if no one else noticed it.

6. evilrobot macrumors newbie

Developer went through proper channels to document and present a bug to Apple. (boring story).

A kid stumbles onto bug trying to set up a Fortnite game. Mass populous clutches their pearls and fans themselves. (amaaaaazing story).

7. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Please get over YOURself. Everyone here knows that in addition to reporting the bug the mother ran right to Fox News and talked about it. Everyone ALSO knows that she set up a dev account after the initial report and reported it there as well. Your assertion that somehow this random guy deserves some imagined credit for Apple shutting down the whole service is, to be generous, absurd. Equally absurd is equating this man trying to get attention with doing a normal bug report.

8. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

The cynic in me says that backdoors are intentionally added to satisfy NSA demands and that it’s only a matter of time before the next one is found.

Even if that’s going too far, it was a pretty major and embarrassing flaw for Apple, making headlines globally. I think it suggests a lack of concern for security during the software development phase, treating it more as an afterthought.

9. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

No, she did not report it through Radar. We have her statement agreeing with that. She reported it via product security, who asked her to file a bug report. Instead, she tired faxing, reporting to the media, etc.

It was Apple's error that they didn't handle it without a bug report. That does not mean a bug report was filed, and it doesn't mean Apple handled the report correctly.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

The underground community knows about vulnerabilities long before they trickle down to the public. For example, WEP WIFI encryption was cracked long before it became a public problem. It seem like at least a year or more before TJ Maxx type incidents. So, the exposure window is usually longer than the public think.

11. fermat-au macrumors 6502

I agree. Even if you prefer macOS to Windows 10 today, it seems obvious that Microsoft see Windows 10 has a bright future, Apple sees macOS as that other old OS that is not iOS.

12. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

People who care about how bug bounties work care.

13. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

For what it’s worth, the cynic in me honors the cynic in you. I 100% believe this was done for law enforcement, NSA, CIA etc purposes. It just didn’t get enough publicity until now.

14. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

It's not the fact that he reported it that I take issue with. It's how he came out after it was public knowledge the kid and his mother discovered it and said "Well I found it too, look at me" That's what I take issue with.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:56 AM ---
    I think that's what caused the delay of deployment, Apple was on the fence about complying with the NSA, CIA, etc. and finally caved in and got caught. Whatever the government threatened it must have been a doozie to get Apple to comply.