Text bar from side to side above the dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jchouinard, Sep 8, 2010.

  1. jchouinard macrumors newbie

    Nov 5, 2009
    I was in Safari (or maybe on the desktop because Safari wasn't on top, I can't remember) and I was trying to do a capital P. Than a text zone (like a white line from side to side show above my dock. I was able to close it with the red button. But I want to know what this text bar was all about and what is the other key a touch (Caps+?)
  2. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    I'm guessing you enabled an alternate language (I don't know what the standard keyboard shortcut is, it used to be Cmd-Space until Spotlight came out, now I use Ctrl-Space). The ones that use an alternate script, like Japanese, will display that bar so you can see what you're entering before it inserts the characters.

  3. willsylt macrumors newbie

    Sep 8, 2010

    Hi! I'm very new to this site, and I don't even understand how I start a new thread... All I want to know is, is it possibly to use the spotlight in your menu bar without having any other application running? It only works for me if I have safari or any app running, but if only finder is running the spotlight icon in the menu bar wont come up so I can do a search.

Share This Page