Text Bubble ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cuechick, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Cuechick macrumors 6502

Cuechick

[​IMG]

My new iP5 is my first new iphone since the original, so I am a little behind (ok a lot)... anyway, I sometimes see this odd grey bubble with 3 dots on the bottom left side of my screen when texting...

What does it mean and can the people I text see it?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a feature of iMessages. It's like the old AOL AIM "the other person is typing" thing. Yes, other people whose text bubble are blue can see it when you are typing a reply to them.

3. Cuechick thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Thanks!

And what does the bubble being blue indicate?

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

The blue bubble means it's an iMessage (not charged to your cellphone plan). The green bubble means it's the old style messaging. I think of green/ cash for a charge to my plan, as I don't have unlimited texting.

5. Cuechick thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Got it, though since I have unlimited texting it doesn't matter, right?

(sorry to be ask an obvious question but I am a little paranoid coming from a limited texting plan) :eek:

6. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Yeah, as long as you have unlimited text messaging, you don't have to worry about how many green bubbled texts you are receiving. I don't know if anyone said this previously, but iMessages do use a small amount of data and do count against your data limit if you are not connected to Wi-Fi.

7. Cuechick thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Ok, Was wondering about that. Is there away to turn imessage off so I'm only texting?

And if I am texting while on wireless than would that not count toward my data plan? only have 1 Gig...

Thanks, this is all great info!

8. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

Settings < Messages < iMessage OFF
    It takes hundreds of texts to take up one MB. iMessage hardly use any data at all (excluding photos/videos).

I also have unlimited texting and had kept iMessage off. Then I decided to turn it on for some reason... gonna use it this month and see how much data difference there will be.

What I had thought was, if you have unlimited texting, you might as well use it. Save that little bit of data for when you actually need it.

9. Cuechick thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Ok, I am going to let you test that out... let me know how it goes ;)

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

text messaging doesnt use data from the data plan bucket, never has. imessage does however, but its so small, it wont make a difference at all.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

iMessage will also let people send to you via your email, and it (supposedly, IIRC) syncs across iDevices.