Text/Code Editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frozonecold, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

I have been using the Textmate demo for a few days and I like it's code folding and macros, but I wish it had an auto- autocomplete and tabs. I tried Komodo edit too and loved it's features; however it has the clunkiest Interface of any editor. I have never been a Dreamweaver fan, but if it has macros I will shut up and use it. What are your recommendations?
    BTW: I think I am, going to email the developer of Textmate later, because it really is a very nice editor, but it is lacking some needed features.

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

You can get tabs in textmate if you open up a 'project'

i.e. Go 'open' and open a folder (as opposed to a single file)

This'll open the project drawer with all your files. They open in new tabs ;)

TM 2 should be released sometime soon...

3. dws90 macrumors regular

Another option is MacVIM. It's a Macified version of gVIM, basically, and consequently alternates between being remarkably powerful and making you want to pull you hair out.

With the correct plugins, it can do everything that TextMate can, but is nowhere nearly as user-friendly. It's free, though, which may or may not be an important point for you.

Oh, and try Alt + Esc in TextMate.

4. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that im working with files over FTP and some files are locally, so II cannot creat a project.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I personally like BBEdit/TextWrangler. I tried the demo of Textmate and didn't like it, plus I like and use the CVS and SVN integration in BBEdit. The main difference between BBEdit and TextWrangler (besides the price - TextWrangler is free) is the CVS/SVN integration; I use BBEdit at the office and TextWrangler at home. I just couldn't get used to Textmate's way of doing things I guess.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I also didn't like the way that Textmate almost required you to make a project. That is one of my main gripes with it.

7. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

Once you start using it's macros TM can be very useful, but I really want some freaking autocomplete. If TextMate took some features from DW/Komodo Edit I would be in heaven.

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Smultron has tabs and syntax coloring, not quite auto-complete, but very useful in catching typos and missing brackets.

9. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

Autocomplete and Tabs are must have features for me. Not one or the other. I might have to go back to Komodo Edit, despite it's suckyness.

10. Frozonecold thread starter macrumors 6502

I will check out MacVim. As for Alt + Esc that sounds great if I was stuck, but it would only hinder productivity further if I were to do use that command every time I am typing a function.

11. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I would like to revive this thread. I am looking for something that if I type <html> it will automatically generate the </html> Any ideas?

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You should check out the Web Design and Development forum here. There's some stickies with some good resources. Look at things like DreamWeaver, TextMate, BBEdit, and such that have auto-complete options.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like textmate myself, IRS fast small (loads fast) and powerful. My concern with textmate is that it's virtually abandonware. The vendor promised a new version 3 years ago and nothing has occurred. I use coda for HTML/css and BBEdit everything else. BBEdit is more powerful then I need and it loads a lot slower. Not a huge issue