Text dictation requires Siri now? (after update)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mojopin, May 22, 2015.

1. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

So, I noticed that after the new update that dictating text now requires Siri to be enabled on my phone. This wasn't the case previously as I never turn Siri on and dictation on the watch was working flawlessly.

Did anyone else notice this, and does enabling Siri on my phone (keeping Hey Siri off) drain my battery faster on both devices?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yes enabling Siri does hurt your battery life but as far as I know it's pretty minimal.

3. CaptHook macrumors member

"Hey Siri" on your phone only works when it is plugged in [unless you are jailbroken and enabled that tweak]. Therefore it is not a battery drain.

4. papbot macrumors 6502

Turning off Siri on your phone does turn it off on the watch but shouldn't affect dictation, but I haven't tried it that way. The Hey Siri only works on the watch, the phone would have to be plugged in. There's little if any battery drain with Siri unless you're asking it dozens of questions every day that she has to access a network connection to answer.

5. Mojopin thread starter macrumors regular

Mojopin

Thanks for the feedback all. This question came about when I tried to use dictation to reply to a text after I updated the new OS. I never enable Siri on my phone and a pop up message came up on the watch that said I had to enable it to use dictation. I thought it was odd

6. papbot macrumors 6502

I'd try disabling Siri on my phone to check bot you get a warning about some other things including the watch. It may well be that you have to have it enabled for dictation. There's really no reason not to. But someone else may try it and let you know.

7. Mojopin thread starter macrumors regular

Mojopin

Here's there message I get if I don't have Siri enabled on the phone

[​IMG]

8. yozh macrumors 6502

Ok so I`m not crazy. I just made another thread with same question. I always had Siri off, never use it and dictation was working fine. Now it doesnt let me dictate with out Siri this sucks ! Dictation on iPhone it self works with out Siri.

9. Mojopin thread starter macrumors regular

Mojopin

Yeah I'm surprised they changed it if it was fine before the update

10. yozh macrumors 6502

I just hope Siri doesnt kill battery even more now.

11. frenchcamp49er macrumors member

In the glance mode are you not supposed to be able manually start the heart rate monitor, I thought I was able to do this before.

12. yozh macrumors 6502

That works for me.