Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Every since upgrading to iOS 11.0 on my iPhone 6S Plus, the text doesn't consistently fit in the notification bubbles. The bottom of the letters often get cut off.
It was fine in all versions on iOS 10 and I have't changed the font sizes.
I have updated to the latest 11.2 and I still see the same issue.
Of course, the phone has been restarted several times since the issue started.

Is there any fix to this issue?

wty9ab.png

2hrcrit.png

Reactions: max carnage

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see this once in a rare while. Seems like a glitch that needs to be fixed somewhere in iOS.

jaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
I see it almost all the time. I just noticed in the first screenshot that the text is the same in both notifications, but the size of the notification bubble is smaller (not as tall), so the same text can't fit in it.
So, the issue isn't the size of the message text; it's size of the message bubble itself that randomly changes.
When the bubble shrinks, the message content no longer fits inside.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see it almost all the time. I just noticed in the first screenshot that the text is the same in both notifications, but the size of the notification bubble is smaller (not as tall), so the same text can't fit in it.
So, the issue isn't the size of the message text; it's size of the message bubble itself that randomly changes.
When the bubble shrinks, the message content no longer fits inside.
Odd that you are seeing so often. I wonder what might behind that and the frequency.

Are you using the zoomed view on your device? Also, you mentioned you didn't change any font related settings, but what are those set to for you?

jaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
There is no zoomed view. The bubble sometimes shrinks to about half normal height.
In the first screen shot, there are 2 identical notifications about iCloud storage. They both have identical text.
The first notification has a tall notification box and all the text fits. The second notification has a short message box that cuts off a line and a half of the message.

The second screen shot only has one notification, but it also has the undersized message box that doesn't have room for the text.
It really doesn't appear to be a zoom level issue especially since one of the notification messages is fine and one isn't all in the same screen shot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no zoomed view. The bubble sometimes shrinks to about half normal height.
In the first screen shot, there are 2 identical notifications about iCloud storage. They both have identical text.
The first notification has a tall notification box and all the text fits. The second notification has a short message box that cuts off a line and a half of the message.

The second screen shot only has one notification, but it also has the undersized message box that doesn't have room for the text.
It really doesn't appear to be a zoom level issue especially since one of the notification messages is fine and one isn't all in the same screen shot.
Zoomed view as in the view that is set in settings for your device under display options. Things appear on your screen somewhat larger than they seem to be on mine, for example, which is why I'm asking about the display zoom setting that you might be using and/or font size that you might have set.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I see this almost daily. Its a stupid bug that needs to be fixed. Notification center just becomes more and more of a mess with each release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see this almost daily. Its a stupid bug that needs to be fixed. Notification center just becomes more and more of a mess with each release.
What device do you have? Do you use zoomed or standard display zoom? Any font settings beyond the default ones?

jaxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Zoomed view as in the view that is set in settings for your device under display options. Things appear on your screen somewhat larger than they seem to be on mine, for example, which is why I'm asking about the display zoom setting that you might be using and/or font size that you might have set.

I understand, but even if it is zoomed, turning off zoom wouldn't the a solution since the issue happens off and on and I'm not turning zoom off and on. Also, the issue is the size of the message box getting smaller, not the size of the text.
It wasn't an issue in iOS 10 with zoom on or off, so it seems like a bug. As soon as I installed iOS 11, I saw the issue and I didn't change the zoom level between stopping using iOS 10 and starting to use iOS 11.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand, but even if it is zoomed, turning off zoom wouldn't the a solution since the issue happens off and on and I'm not turning zoom off and on. Also, the issue is the size of the message box getting smaller, not the size of the text.
It wasn't an issue in iOS 10 with zoom on or off, so it seems like a bug. As soon as I installed iOS 11, I saw the issue and I didn't change the zoom level between stopping using iOS 10 and starting to use iOS 11.
I undertand, I'm just trying to see what differences might be in play when it comes to someone who is seeing this kind of thing very often and someone who has only seen it on a couple of occasions at best.

max carnage

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
I've been experiencing the same thing for quite some time. It happens about 90% and only on the lock screen. I've updated to 11.2.1 on my iPhone 6S but still no fix. I'm fascinated that more people aren't experiencing this problem.

IMG_2955.PNG

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Honestly this kind of glitch still being there since June really makes iOS 11 seem sloppy. I hope 11.3 will fix these small annoying bugs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly this kind of glitch still being there since June really makes iOS 11 seem sloppy. I hope 11.3 will fix these small annoying bugs.
Well, given that it doesn't seem to affect a lot of people, and isn't even consistent for those that do see it more regularly, it might be something that needs some time to investigate and figure out. With it being a fairly trivial visual glitch as far as impact it likely makes it something that is of fairly low priority. That said, it certainly doesn't change that it adds to making things seem sloppy, as you put it.

Reactions: Paddle1

boo98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I've been experiencing the same thing for quite some time. It happens about 90% and only on the lock screen. I've updated to 11.2.1 on my iPhone 6S but still no fix. I'm fascinated that more people aren't experiencing this problem.

View attachment 742222

I have the same issue. I thought that this last update would have fixed it but I'm still seeing it. :(

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
I see this issue only when there should be a reminder notification on the lock screen, but the notification for another app occupies the size of the reminder notification, causing it to over run the size of the notification bubble

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
For what it's worth, I see this with almost every notification on the lock screen. Even if the notification text is several lines long, the notification "bubble" is only tall enough for a line or two.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
11.2.5 betas 4 and 5 both seem to have rectified this issue. I had it once it a while, haven't seen it in ~ 1 week since installing beta 4 (and then 5)

dglenn9000

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
This is sloppy work as a previous posted mentioned. This happens daily for me from notifications on the lock screen. Then if I swipe to remove notifications below others it gets even worse. See image below. It started when I went to ios 11. It’s not just a small percentage of people this happens to. I am on 6s plus. No changes to settings text or anything like that. Even if so, good coding would accommodate for any option on the phone.

It’s not the end of the world but since it’s the first thing you always see when you grab your phone, it stands out.

Attachments

• AA1E7391-61E9-40C6-B5F1-B7D5C5451E12.png
    AA1E7391-61E9-40C6-B5F1-B7D5C5451E12.png
    2 MB · Views: 342
Reactions: BKiddo

daddyjake

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
I see this issue only when there should be a reminder notification on the lock screen, but the notification for another app occupies the size of the reminder notification, causing it to over run the size of the notification bubble

ncrypt is on to something here. I tried turning notifications for reminders off and back on and the cut off notifications went away. I'll test it some more with future reminder notifications but for now the issue is fixed.

azbertman

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
I've had this issue now for months. Installed 11.2.5 last night and it is still present. I cannot believe Apple hasn't addressed this yet.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I'm running the latest software and this issue is still persistent. I generally have previews turned off for most notifications but on for a select few. I am pretty sure that this is the cause of the bug, that the system gets "confused" and doesn't let the preview notifications expand properly, but there is still no excuse for Apple to not fix this issue. This should be basic software 101 stuff, not still pending this far into the OS11 release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.