Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hey guys
I recently updated my mac to osX 10.8 and to my amazement I found out that I no longer can edit html pages on text edit.
Before I could just drag and drop a file to text edit and see the code. What happens now is text edit tries to render the page. which is a behavior I don't need at all.
Is there a way to switch to the "text" view of the code?
Thanks in advance

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
For serious text editing, I would recommend TextWrangler. It is free and virtually essential for the Mac. It displays syntax in different colours for a range of languages, including HTML. It also handles permissions easily to let you edit system files.
It also has a range of tools, such as Grep search-and-replace, changing case, sorting lines, adding prefixes to lines, etc, etc.

TextEdit is not really a serious text editor, any more than it is a serious word processor.

TextWrangler is available from the MAS; also from the Bare Bones website. The website version has a couple of extra things that aren't allowed in the MAS.

phobos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I totally get what you're saying and I've heard so many good things about all these different apps you mentioned (thanks by the way!).
But for my needs Text edit was simply beautiful. So you can imagine my dissapointment when I saw the removal of such simple functionality.
I just want to open the file make the most basic edits and upload and that's about it. So even though the other programs are more capable, Text edit was perfectly fine for what I needed to do.
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and download the programs you mentioned. Arrrgh!!

:)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
.....all these different apps you mentioned
I only mentioned ONE! :p

What did you update from, btw? I think TextEdit has rendered HTML pages for several versions of OS X now, but I could be wrong, as it's not the sort of thing I do in TE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.