Text Edit File Vanished Completely

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samwows, Jun 22, 2014.

1. samwows macrumors newbie

Hello!
    This morning I was working on a textedit document that I've worked on for years and saved every time I work on it.

Today when I saved it, a funny thing happened with my computer and finder/desktop froze up so I ended up having to restart the computer.

Now the file is NOWHERE to be found. It's even disappeared from the "open recent" drop down. All of my other files are there except that one.

Is there any way to recover this file?? I really don't understand how it just completely disappeared. I've done some searches and found a few other people encountered this problem but no solution yet...

thank you

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ Is there any way to recover this file?? I really don't understand how it just completely disappeared. I've done some searches and found a few other people encountered this problem but no solution yet... ]]

The best solution is to copy the file back over from your backup drive...

3. samwows thread starter macrumors newbie

No way to find/search/recover in my computer?
    I had backed it up to an external hard drive about a year ago, so there's a whole year's worth of extra info.
    It just completely vanished, it seems like it has to be somewhere on the computer's drive

4. samwows thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just able to find the file title when I click on the apple button in the top left corner of my mac and then go to "recent documents"!
    But when I click on it it won't open...
    And it doesn't show up on recent documents from text edit...

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You've just learned the hard way, why you should be using an automatic backup scheme such as Time Machine.
    It happens to most of us :(

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, since you don't have a viable backup plan, you're best option might be if you sent the file to anyone. At least it would be more recent than 1 year old.

It's probably there, but there is no easy or inexpensive way to recover it, which is what I assume you are looking for now.

7. mike08b macrumors newbie

Depending on the importance of finding this file (which it seems that it is a high priority!), you may consider taking it to a local tech repair store, or even a Best Buy might do it. There usually is a way to recover lost data from hard drives, but it is difficult and will cost you.

There also exist some consumer programs that will recover lost data, but I'd recommend having someone else do it. If you fork up the money for a program that is not able to find it, you probably won't receive a refund. But if you have a repair store try to recover it, you probably will not be charged for their failure.

Good luck to you!