Text editor that can auto-save

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shinji, Mar 25, 2008.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I'm using Textmate but it apparently doesn't have an auto-save feature? Leopard just crashed and it took with it what I was working on. :mad:

Is there any hack for this? Or can someone suggest another text editor that has this very basic feature?

2. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

I see Subethaedit has autosave.

Too bad, I really liked Textmate but this is a dealbreaker if there's no workaround.

3. danrodney macrumors newbie

danrodney

TextEdit in Leopard

For a simple text edit I love Apple's TextEdit.
    And it's even better in 10.5 Leopard because it Auto Saves!
    You can even set the frequency of the auto save. :)

4. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, pretty ridiculous how the completely free text editor that comes with the OS has a basic feature that Textmate doesn't have, but BBEdit and Subethaedit do have.

I would just use TextEdit but I need syntax highlighting, better search capability, etc.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

textmate > Preferences > Advanced > Saving

Atomic Save = saves the new file and keeps the old file by renaming it
    Save when focus lost = when you switch to another app, it auto saves.

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

just get used to pressing cmd+S during every pause.

8. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Not really the same thing, though. I was between saves, so atomic save wouldn't have helped...and I hadn't switched focus when Leopard crashed. :(

I can't believe BBEdit and Subethaedit AND free TextEdit have this very basic feature that Textmate doesn't?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I usually turn autosave off, because I am too used to pressing cmd + s and sometimes I dink around in my documents and don't want the changes I made saved.

10. operator207 macrumors 6502

Ya, I agree not the same thing. Though my post was merely to show that some sort of auto saving, though not the best, did exist in TextMate.

I love TextMate, I use it as an editor for email (mutt), and occasionally for scripts or code. My main editor however, is Vim. I hve used Vi or Vim sine the 90's. I usually find myself typing ":wq" in any editor to save a quit. In fact most of my errors in my code end up being some key combo from Vi, when I am not actually using Vi. It sucks sometimes.

I just ran across this: http://www.buddytoupsjr.com/2008/01/30/auto-save-file-textmate/

might be what your looking for.