Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
I was wondering if anyone knew how to insert multiple lines via the iPhone's text expander/shortcut option? I want to insert my email signature before the quoted text in the Gmail app (something that can't currently be done). So I want to insert something like:

--
Phill

Sent from my iPhone

I've tried to play with all kinds of options like <br> </br> </n> <n> in the shortcut section but it won't give me what I want. I also downloaded Xpandr 2 but it doesn't give me this functionality.

Any help would be GREAT. Thanks!

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
iOS doesn't support that currently (new lines inside shortcuts), so you either have to use two or three shortcuts... or try another "text expander" app that does.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
iOS doesn't support that currently (new lines inside shortcuts), so you either have to use two or three shortcuts... or try another "text expander" app that does.

Does anyone know of any other text expander apps that allow this functionality? It's a waste of time to use three shortcuts to achieve this.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
There is this, but didn't work for me, so I tried the tinkerer approach, that did work just fine:

1. Edit /var/mobile/Library/Keyboard/CloudUserDictionary.sqlite with a SQLite Editor.
2. Reupload (in case you didn't edit inside the iOS device).
3. Profit

However, when trying to update previous shortcuts via the Settings app, or making new (regular) ones, it won't update the changes so either it was
a. My SQLite editor introducing something odd
b. iCloud playing sassy with me since the timestamps changed
c. The price you pay from thinking outside the box (Apple's).

So there you go, enjoy.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
There is this, but didn't work for me, so I tried the tinkerer approach, that did work just fine:

1. Edit /var/mobile/Library/Keyboard/CloudUserDictionary.sqlite with a SQLite Editor.
2. Reupload (in case you didn't edit inside the iOS device).
3. Profit

However, when trying to update previous shortcuts via the Settings app, or making new (regular) ones, it won't update the changes so either it was
a. My SQLite editor introducing something odd
b. iCloud playing sassy with me since the timestamps changed
c. The price you pay from thinking outside the box (Apple's).

So there you go, enjoy.

I also tried the method explained in that link for a while and couldn't get it to work. I appreciate your suggestion of the second method but I think it's a little more intense than I had envisioned. Hopefully the Gmail app will be updated someday (soon!?) to include signatures before the quoted text.

Thanks again.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I appreciate your suggestion of the second method but I think it's a little more intense than I had envisioned.
Intense? These are the Jailbreak&Hacks sub-forums!!! ;)

But yeah, if you feel the second method is too hardcore then I guess you're SoL.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Intense? These are the Jailbreak&Hacks sub-forums!!! ;)

But yeah, if you feel the second method is too hardcore then I guess you're SoL.

Getting into the var/mobile... isn't the problem. I just don't know much about editing SQLite files (I guess I'd need to find a Mac program to edit it). Plus, the idea of it messing with my stock functionality makes me less excited about tinkering.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I just don't know much about editing SQLite files (I guess I'd need to find a Mac program to edit it).
I use Liya.

You'd need up update via a custom command, something like (deleted the file and closed Liya so cannot say)
Code:
UPDATE 'first_table_that_pops_up'
set  zphrase = 'Regards,

--
Phill

Sent from my iPhone'
WHERE z_key = XX.

Where XX is the ID of the register where you have the shortcut (better create a dummy one before grabbing the sqlite).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.