Text for free?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xpsm1730, Jun 26, 2009.

1. xpsm1730 macrumors regular

Is there a way to send free text msgs on the 3g 3.0? (im on t-mob)

I read somewhere that if you get on wi-fi and send an email in the to box just put the cell number 12312312312321@teleflip.com and it goes as a text? No wi-fi at work so will try this tonight from home.

Are there any apps that let you text for free?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Most of thge companies who bounce your text messages thru their servers do not do so for free.

3. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

yes, get the AIM application! I was on it earlier and it showed me a hint that you can type peoples phone numbers and it gets to them as a text message but you're only using data for AIM.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you're not opposed to spending a little money there's an app called TextFree Unlimited in the App Store.

It's $5.99/year and you get unlimited incoming and outgoing texts. Other TextFree users can text your phone number and non-users can text you with a "you@textfree.us" address. I love it.

Between this app and AIM with push there is no need for AT&T's overpriced texting. I just cancelled my text plan today.

5. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

6. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

+1 on text free-it pushes, it is GREAT. And I bought it before 6/17-so it was just a ONE TIME FEE!!!

Can't imagine how happy I was to call AT$T and tell them where they could put their $30 family texting plan :D

7. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

Of all the texting alternatives, TextFree Unlimited is by far the best. AIM is so-so. But, I've used this prior to switching to T-Mo $1-a-day unlimited txting and data and it worked flawlessly! I wish it would have come out sooner like last year when I still had my iPhone 3G with AT&T, oh well. Honestly, great solution to overpriced AT&T texting plans. I back this app 110% :)