Text Formatting Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jas123, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

Sometimes when I am using Text Edit, and some other text programs as well, the formatting that I apply gets stuck. So, every new line that I create there after, gets the same formatting.

I believe it only happens if I apply the formatting afterwards. That is, after I finish typing, I highlight the text and apply a bold or underline format.

How do I stop this? Is there a keyboard command?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Also, be aware that if you copy text from another source and paste it (Command-V) into a TextEdit document, it pastes the format, as well. To avoid this and retain the format you already have set in your document, use Edit > Paste and Match Style or Option-Shift-Command-V.

4. mstriker macrumors newbie

GGJ,

Do you think you could help to paste format?

I recal that there is a button in Word/Excel in Windows that will allow you to copy format of a selected text than apply it to a new text.

Is there such a thingie on Macs (whether it is mail,pages, etc.)?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether that functionality exists really depends on the particular apps you're copying from and pasting to.

6. interrobang macrumors 6502

In Word 2008 and later, it's the Format painter button in the toolbar; it looks like a blue paintbrush and you click it once to copy and again to apply the style. And it only works once, so you end up clicking it a lot.

Pages uses Format > Copy Character Style and Format > Paste Style.

In Mail, it's Format > Styles > Copy Style and Format > Styles > Paste Style (at least in Mail 4.5)