text from att adding data plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by annab, Jun 7, 2011.

1. annab macrumors newbie

I my husband and I have been using unlocked iphones with an att sim card for several years now with no problem. One was a 2g and one was a 3g. A couple months ago my husband was given a 3g phone. He unlocked it and used it with the same att sim card with no problem. Today att sent him a text saying they had added a data plan to his acount since he is using an iphone. When I called them about it, they said that every time a phone call is made the serial number is transmitted to att and if it is an iphone the data plan will automatically be added. They said they will remove the data plan, but if another phone call is made from that phone another data plan will automatically be added. At this point att has not said anything about my use of an iphone. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a way around it?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T can't add a data plan to the original iphone. However, for the rest of the phones, you are required to add a data plan. Either get the $15 plan or go pre-paid.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

you can try putting the SIM card in a dumbphone, then asking ATT to put a data block on the line. Then put the SIM back in the iphone.

If you are using no data, what advantage is there to use the 3g over the 2g?

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

iOS 4

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's what happens.
    Consider yourself lucky he got away with it that long. Now that they have redflagged his account each time he uses an iphone without data he will get the same text and data plan added.
    You dont have to worry about the 2G, they wont add it automaticly since its not mandatory. Just on iphone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4.
    No way around it besides going on prepaid AT&T go sim or use it on Tmobile.

6. Inkllicious macrumors regular

Yes because a horrible laggy operating system on outdated hardware is surely a benefit. :rolleyes:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Well said.

8. tempusfugit, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Snide and unsolicited opinions of the speed of iOS4 on an iPhone 3G aside, a lot of apps make use of APIs that are only available on iOS 4+. Who cares if your phone runs marginally faster if you can't do a damn thing worth doing on it.

I'd rather have a slightly sluggish phone with apps that work. I also own an iPhone 3G, and can tell you from personal experience that subsequent updates to 4.0 have greatly improved the sluggishness and speed issues which honestly started rearing their heads towards the end of 3.1.x anyway. It's still old and feels slow when compared to newer models, but for a device that came out in 2008 its really not bad. The UI doesn't feel significantly more sluggish than android handsets i've used. iOS users are spoiled when it comes to the responsiveness of their devices.

So that's how one gets to over 16k posts....

9. Almeuit macrumors regular

Why because he is using a forum to discuss a topic ... Saw something someone said so used the quote function of the forum to then agree with it?

Man I can see the butthurtness from here... Get ready to be more butthurt because I agree with him.

Friend has an iPhone 3G still on iOS 3 for the exact reason of lag. When he pops open his SBsettings he has like 8-10MB at best... That's horrid and if he ran iOS 4 I could only imagine. So if you can stand that then more power to you.