Text from iPhone to "@" sign?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Smohrman, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Smohrman macrumors newbie

Hi- this one is making me feel stupid, but i have a text address I want to text to which is formatted "text@address.com". There does not seem to be a way to add the "@" sign to an address in the text app. There's no alternative keyboard. How do you text to an address with an "@" sign in the address?
    Thanks in Advance
    Smorhman

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

That looks like an email address (Several carriers offer their customers an email-to-text option, meaning yourphonenumber@yourcarrier.com)

Is that what the format looks like? (1234567890@example.com)? If so, drop the @example.com and just send an SMS to the number and I would think it would work fine.

If it's not all digits before the "@", you probably have to send an email instead of a text.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

What iPhone are you using? My keyboard on iOS 5 offers the @ sign, right down at the bottom right, so I can text an email address.

Alternatively, add it to your contacts, then text select that contact.

4. Smohrman thread starter macrumors newbie

The address is text@agradioshow.com. It's a Sacramento CA based radio show. They say people text them live all the time at that text address. There's not even a period on my keyboard so I can't even do the .com? WTH? There are only letters, and the alternate keyboard accessed by pressing "123" is numbers ONLY- no other characters whatsoever. I'm using a 3Gs with IOS 5. Could it be the phone is too old? I've attached a couple of screenshots of the keyboard as I can access it within the native text program.

THX!

Attached Files:

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Weird! Are you on iOS 5, or not?

That keyboard is definitely different than the newer ones.

6. Smohrman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. On IOS 5

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Here's some screenshots of the keyboard in my 4S and it's very similar on my iPad.

Attached Files:

8. Smohrman thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great, but that's the regular keyboard, not the one which comes up in the "Messaging" app.

----------

And I just tried putting the text@agradioshow.com address into the iPhone's Notes program. I can put it in there because the regular keyboard does have the special characters. Copied it and pasted it into the Messaging app address bar. I thought I had it beat, but the iPhone converted the freakin' @ symbol to an "a". Damn it.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, if you look, those screenshots were all taken in my messaging app, just to respect others privacy, I didn't select a contact. I just let the keyboard pop-up and took a screenshot.

As I said, I'm on the 4S, though.

That video shows the 3GS keyboard in messaging, because that's what he's typing.

10. Smohrman thread starter macrumors newbie

My 3Gs definitely has a different keyboard in the messaging app than it does when typing in say, Notes or email. I don't know what else to say- must be the diff between 3G and 4G. There does not seem to be a way to change it anyway. Thanks for the help.

----------

You have to go to "Settings/Messages/SMS/MMS and turn MMS Messaging On. That did it. After that i have the keyboard with the @ symbol. Whew, that was weird.

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Wow! Odd, but at least you found a solution! LOL

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

13. cathlabnurse macrumors newbie

cathlabnurse

I have the @ sign in messenging when i go for a new message, however, when i go to reply, it is not there. :(