Text from O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badgerguy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Badgerguy macrumors member

I just got a text from O2 apologising for the trouble on Monday, and directing me to their latest information.

Given that I didn't make it in time for the Monday rush, and that I'm not currently on O2, I can only assume that they just sent out 200,000 text messages to everyone that registered their interest!

I know there's been some O2 bashing going on, but it seems to me that they /are/ trying their best under unusual circumstances - it's not everyday they do a product launch like this!

--
    BG

2. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Official Apology!
    ----

If you are one of those customers who tried to use our Online shop on Monday, you might like to read on.

I am sorry that you had a frustrating experience in trying to order iPhone 3G. This note summarises why it happened and what happens now.

From the start, we felt it was important that people should be able to register that they were interested and be kept up to date with each part of the launch. As well as giving people the information they needed to get a new iPhone, it would give us an idea of how many iPhones we would need from Apple.

An amazing 200,000 people registered on the site. Apple can only supply us with a small proportion of that number to start with, but with weekly deliveries, we're confident that everyone who wants an iPhone will be able to get one by the end of the summer. Until then, we realise that some people will be disappointed.

The people who'd registered on our site had the chance to order an iPhone before anyone else. We let them know that they could do this by going online on 7 July and we made it clear that it would be on a first come, first served basis to keep things fair, as stock was limited.

Naturally, we made sure we looked after people already on O2 as well as new customers. And in fact the orders that we received were split 50-50 between new and existing O2 customers.

What went wrong?

Because we were so open about where and when you could pre-order your iPhone, the online shop was always going to be busy. We tried to prepare for this by increasing the online shop's capacity to 250 times its normal rate and testing it over and over again before the launch.

It wasn't enough. I'm really sorry if you couldn't get your order in. We weren't prepared for the speed and volume of people. I'm not sure any website could have been.

What happens now?

If you ordered online and your order went through, we'll text you by 6pm tonight, just to confirm. You'll get your iPhone 3G delivered on Friday 11 July unless you live in one of these remote postcodes. If you haven't had a text by then, I'm afraid your order wasn't successful. Your options if you still want an iPhone will be to either go into a O2 store tomorrow and I would recommend you read the key points at the top of this page or alternatively, check the website in the future for stock availability.

Once again, I'm sorry if you had problems with the online shop on Monday. We're working very closely with Apple to get as much stock as we can for the UK, as quickly as possible.

Thank you

Cheryl Black
    Customer Service Director
    O2

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They've done something to their text message list to filter out those with orders against them since I have an order 'in progress' and didn't get an apology text.

4. alFR macrumors 68020

I registered interest, haven't got an order in and haven't got a text either, so I don't think there's any filtering going on, just inconsistency. :)

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Reminds me of a Timberland song. I just got the txt too.

Got mine from Carphone Warehouse - 1 month free insurance, £60 cash-back, online ordering system that actually works.

AppleMatt

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

SMS CONTENTS:

O2: Sorry your experience on Monday wasn't great if you were trying to order iPhone 3g. Go to http://shop.o2.co.uk/info/ to find out the latest details.

i still haven't received the three emails, my order is still 'in progress' and i have been charged £59...don't think im going to get it tomorrow!

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Do you have an order number?

9. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I haven't got one and i pre-registered etc...? Ah Well who needs more junk texts anyway :D

10. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Just got the same text even though I managed to place an order for a 16GB. Have an order number. Had 3 emails from O2. CC charged on Tuesday for full amount. Order still says "In Progress" :mad:

11. GreatOldOne macrumors member

I got a shortened version of the email as an SMS - yet I've got a completed number and DHL tracking ID. So I guess they blatted it out to everyone who registered.

12. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

yes

before you say i will get it

o2 are still saying they don't know

13. JamboUK macrumors member

Well so do I and got one....and I never even confirmed my mobile phone number with them.....

So shot that theory down in flames. Nice try.

14. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sorry to be cynical, but I disagree.

The title of the text shows where the true intent of the message lies. It doesn't say 'Sorry about the chaos the other day' or something similar. It says 'Unprecedented demand for the iPhone 3G'.

To me this is a cynical attempt by O2 to boost the hype.

I am thoroughly pissed off at the uncertainty that they are creating, especially after they had led upgraders to believe that they were going to be rewarded for their loyalty with the opportunity to upgrade effortlessly and promptly to the iPhone 3G.

So much so that I am losing interest in the whole thing.

15. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

hold in there buddy, you'll get it by monday at the latest

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Waiting mine. Is nice to see the Customer service is being upfront here and apologising.

17. Shad0w59 macrumors member

It's official, Apple are using the Nintendo Wii model of business.

18. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

well if you're planning on giving an iPhone to anyone for Christmas, you better order now!

19. Igantius macrumors 65816

Well, all store stocks will be sold out by end of play on Saturday.

20. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

there are more deliveries tomorrow

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I got the apology text. It probably comes from the failover form. I'm still hoping to bag one tomorrow morning but I'm not getting too excited. I've heard that O2 will only be getting weekly stock replenishments and the "'you'll all habe one by the end of summer" phrase on the website really freaks me out...