Text has stair-stepping/jagged on DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, May 15, 2009.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

I can't find a way to make text look smooth on DVD SP -- it always has stair-stepping/jagged edges. I did a DVD transfer of an animated Power Point presentation, and the text there looked fine in the video section, even though some of it was relatively small/narrow. But the text generated with DVD SP in the menu looked really bad.

My only "training" on DVD SP is the lyda.com tutorials. There, Larry Jordan said something about making the text in Photoshop and just using those -- something to do with anti-aliasing. But I don't fully understand why you would have to use Photoshop just to make decent looking text for DVD SP. Is there another way?

Also, how do I set the menus to be 24P (23.98), when using 60i for the video section (I'm not using video in the menus for this).

Thanks,
    Chris

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What you are describing sounds like interlacing. Does the text look bad when the DVD is played back on a regular TV? Text for standard def TV is much, much, much more unforgiving than text for a computer display.

Lethal

3. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I played it on a couple TV's -- a flat panel and on a SD CRT. Both looked bad, but the CRT looked jumpy, too.

I just worked with DVD SP for couple hours and found that I had been using the highlighting colors for the unselected buttons, and that highlighting always causes jagged edges. Oops. So sorry to waste your time there. Thanks anyway.
    -Chris