Text Highlights then deletes across all apps.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reubs, Jan 15, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

My wife has a 2006 low-end Macbook running 10.5.8. In recent months she's noticed that text will inadvertently hightlight while she's typing, and it will then be deleted. While she could CMD-Z or whatever command to undo it, that seems to be a fix for a problem that shouldn't be there.

Anyone seen this happen? I only ran across one problem when Googling for an answer, and there was no solution there. MRoogle seems to have no help, either.

Any ideas would be helpful; thanks!

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Does this happen when the trackpad is off as well (mouse connected, trackpad set to off when mouse is connected)?

The trackpad may be going flakey and registering input even though no input is there (and highlights the text that's being typed, and then as she continues to type, the type is replaced).

I would try it with a mouse connected and with the trackpad off to see if the problem goes away.

-Benjamin

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks; haven't gone that route with it. It didn't occur to me until today that it might be related to some work Apple did to it when they replaced the keyboard and trackpad sometime last year. I don't know how long Apple Care work is under warranty, but I don't want to buy a new laptop for her just b/c of a flakey trackpad. I'll see about a mouse solution, though.

Thanks for the advice!