Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
There have been lots of articles from tech pundits over the last month talking about the potential of Siri and how google should be afraid of losing their search stranglehold. And I think they are right. Siri will expand to the iPad and Mac. Siri will gain lots more funcionality, hopefully including developer API's.

But one thing I think that Siri will really need in the coming future to become a powerhouse is an optional text input (and output) in addition to voice. There are hundreds of situations I can imagine where text is better. While watching TV, while having a conversation, while a child is sleeping, while in a club, etc etc... Then google will become the default in these situations unless the OS is prominantly built around an immediate access to Siri with text input.

I think voice only input is a great start, especially on the iPhone. But for Siri to be successful on the iPad and Mac, I really think text is more appropriate.

Just Dave

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Doesn't siri look stuff up on google?

I don't have an iPhone yet, but no, it does not. I believe it will bring up Safari if it cannot find what you need, or ask if you would like it to.

Google makes its money on ads. If Siri finds what you need and gives you the information without you viewing a webpage full of ads, Google could possibly see a large drop in revenue. I believe this is what they are referring to.

Regards, Dave

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Couldn't you just go on the spotlight for iphone and then click search web or seach wikipedia?

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Doesn't siri look stuff up on google?

Couldn't you just go on the spotlight for iphone and then click search web or seach wikipedia?

uhhh have you ever used or seen any demo of Siri?? Siri is far, from simply being a google or wiki search... Yes you can use her to search google and she will default to a google search if she can't help you. But the purpose of Siri is to intelligently do what you want. Change your meetings, set a reminder, show you the best sushi restaurants in Chicago, oh and 30 other functions... where I see siri expanding is into many more apps and services which allow you to book a reservation for you at a restaurant, hotel, flight, movie or rental car. And those are just a peak into possible functionality on its way.

Imagine sitting at home on your Mac watching TV and you want to book a flight and change a meeting. You obviously don't want to talk out loud to your computer (siri) and listen to it talk back to you because you are watching TV. Your options are either A) open safari. google you flight details. follow the links. book a flight. Then open iCal. find the meeting. change the time. or B) Type into siri "book a flight to Chicago on friday morning. Move my meeting on Friday to next Monday" and bam it's done.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
What I hate about Siri is that it never understands business names. Last night I asked for directions to "Carrabba's". Siri wasn't much help. Same problem with finding a "Hyundai" dealer. I even tried to spell it with my voice, but it just got more confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.