Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
As I said before, Siri doesn't work for everyone. Oh, and even for those who can use Siri, it's not 100% accurate. So how do you correct it if it gets a word or two wrong?

If you must be able to reply to messages without canned responses and without siri, then the apple watch is not a product you should purchase.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As I said before, Siri doesn't work for everyone. Oh, and even for those who can use Siri, it's not 100% accurate. So how do you correct it if it gets a word or two wrong?

So pull out the iPhone as we've been doing since 2007 and which is significantly faster than the silly proposed method of tracing individual letters. Why is this such an inconvenience all of sudden?

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
So pull out the iPhone as we've been doing since 2007 and which is significantly faster than the silly proposed method of tracing individual letters. Why is this such an inconvenience all of sudden?

So we should give up the notion of innovation and just do what we've been doing since 2007 (8 years ago!)?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So we should give up the notion of innovation and just do what we've been doing since 2007 (8 years ago!)?

Don't worry, if Apple did bring this out, it would be fine then. (we all know how this works & have seen it happen enough times)
I mean, who wants a stupid large phone anyway, when 4" is the perfect size? We don't. :p

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

And before we had the iPhone, we were tapping out text messages on number keypads. Tap "1" twice to get B, three times to get C, etc. Was that so inconvenient?

Yes, we've been pulling the phone out of our pockets since 2007, but now that there is a new device, it makes sense to at least talk about what we could do with this new device. Maybe it will turn out that nobody can come up with an easy method of inputting text on a device this small. But we won't find out if we don't at least talk about it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
And before we had the iPhone, we were tapping out text messages on number keypads. Tap "1" twice to get B, three times to get C, etc. Was that so inconvenient?

Yes, we've been pulling the phone out of our pockets since 2007, but now that there is a new device, it makes sense to at least talk about what we could do with this new device. Maybe it will turn out that nobody can come up with an easy method of inputting text on a device this small. But we won't find out if we don't at least talk about it.

No harm then but it'll need to be better than the time consuming idea of tracing individual letters.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
No harm then but it'll need to be better than the time consuming idea of tracing individual letters.

I'm curious.

Just how do you write on paper with a pen?
Or has handwriting, which can look very nice totally faded away where you are, and it's all electronic?
It's a shame as good handwriting skills can be wonderful.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I don't. Haven't written anything on paper for as long as I can remember. I use the iPhone or iPad for quick notes.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't explore input possibilities...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't. Haven't written anything on paper for as long as I can remember. I use the iPhone or iPad for quick notes.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't explore input possibilities...

Just curious, but do you work? Are you a student?

If you are all-digital, don't you ever find yourself needing to jot down notes in the margins of a PDF?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
That's nothing like tracing individual letters within the same square area, which is far more time consuming.

Exactly, jotting down left to write on a post-it is quicker than drawing one letter at a time on a 2" screen with your fingertip then waiting for it to disappear so you can enter the next letter.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Just curious, but do you work? Are you a student?

If you are all-digital, don't you ever find yourself needing to jot down notes in the margins of a PDF?

I am a solutions architect for a large, well known telecommunications company. No, I don't have a need to print PDFs and I markup documents on a PC or iPad or iPhone.

----------

Only if you're a slow writer. I write fast so my writing flows from one letter to another even if I'm not doing cursive. Individual block letters within the same square area are definitely significantly slower.

So was typing on a virtual keyboard compared to typing on a physical keyboard. We've adapted there though.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So was typing on a virtual keyboard compared to typing on a physical keyboard. We've adapted there though.

Poor analogy. Touch typing on a virtual keyboard is no different from doing this on a physical keyboard as they occupy the same area.

Figure out how to expand the the watch screen so we can write normally as we do on a notepad then we can talk. It's way too small to fit a phrase using the fingertip.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Only if you're a slow writer. I write fast so my writing flows from one letter to another even if I'm not doing cursive. Individual block letters within the same square area are definitely significantly slower.

Just to be clear, I'm not thinking about writing out entire emails on the watch. If I needed to do that, I'll get out my iPad / phone / pc.

But something like: PCK UP MLK.
Or a conversation like: ETA? 30MN

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But something like: PCK UP MLK.
Or a conversation like: ETA? 30MN

Apple already has good solutions for those in the form of Siri ("Pick up milk" can't be too hard even if Siri doesn't work well for you) and canned responses which will auto-populate just like on the iPhone ("ETA," etc.). Both are significantly faster than tracing individual letters and so that's why Apple isn't considering it.

danlages65

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
I think that they have really thought about usability. Some of the other watches have the ability to use keyboards and they are really hard to use. I think, like the decision to include digital crown instead of pinch to zoom, they are trying not to obscure the screen.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple already has good solutions for those in the form of Siri ("Pick up milk" can't be too hard even if Siri doesn't work well for you) and canned responses which will auto-populate just like on the iPhone ("ETA," etc.). Both are significantly faster than tracing individual letters and so that's why Apple isn't considering it.

You must not know anyone with a significant speech impairment. I could probably manage "pick up milk," but it will take me more effort to speak it than to write it out one letter at a time. And there are people who can't speak at all.

The ETA part could be a canned response, but what about the minutes? It could be 30, 10, 5...

----------

I think that they have really thought about usability. Some of the other watches have the ability to use keyboards and they are really hard to use. I think, like the decision to include digital crown instead of pinch to zoom, they are trying not to obscure the screen.

The digital crown could be another way to input letters. Scroll through the alphabet by rotating the crown, press the crown to select. Slow, I know. But as I'm saying, for people with speech impairments, dictation is a non-starter.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
The digital crown could be another way to input letters. Scroll through the alphabet by rotating the crown, press the crown to select. Slow, I know. But as I'm saying, for people with speech impairments, dictation is a non-starter.

This is a good point. It will be interesting to see what sort of accessibility options Apple builds into the watch.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
While I wouldn't be typing novels, I'd like to see them eventually include something along the lines of minuum in the future.

It'd be nice to type out short replies when dictation isn't appropriate and getting my phone out (or to my phone) isn't convenient.

danlages65

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
You must not know anyone with a significant speech impairment. I could probably manage "pick up milk," but it will take me more effort to speak it than to write it out one letter at a time. And there are people who can't speak at all.

The ETA part could be a canned response, but what about the minutes? It could be 30, 10, 5...

----------

I agree, but I think at that stage will people just want to use the iPhone? I think it should be an option though.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
I agree, but I think at that stage will people just want to use the iPhone? I think it should be an option though.

What about Siri mistakes when translating? Imagine you start dictating to the Watch (for a reminder, for example) and then when you finish you notice that Siri got a word wrong. What are you supposed to do then? Take out your iPhone and redo everything you just said to correct one word?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.