iPad mini Text looks good in apps, not so much in browser

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipoddin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Loving the form factor of the mini. I can't go back to the full size. The screen is a slight disappointment coming from iPad 3 but I can deal. And that's mainly because I've noticed that when reading in an app, text looks crisp. Try USA Today or Flipboard for examples.

However, the problem is on the web. Reading this site and the non retina display rears its ugly head. Turning to landscape does help a bit.

Maybe it's because the apps are retina apps so text looks good on the mini? Not sure. But it's a noticeable difference to me.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Text is going to have the same resolution whether its in the browser or in an app. Maybe apps render it slightly different, but I tried on my iPad 2 and the text looks about the same.

3. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Then it's rendering because there is an improvement in text in apps versus in the browser.

4. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I think it's more to do with the smaller size in portrait, when zoomed a bit in portrait it improved greatly, while in landscape the minimum size is larger, I find landscape to be very good for internet, when zoomed to fit properly. For example, on this forum I zoom to frame the first column (username etc), and the actual message.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Are you sure it is not just smaller fonts? In portrait on MR Forums the text is tiny, probably around 6-7 pixels tall. When rendering text that small you end up losing a lot of detail in the characters versus a retina display.

6. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Could be smaller fonts too. As I mentioned when viewing web pages in landscape the font rendering is better.