Text Message Conversations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Sep 22, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Some people prefer to just text people instead of calling them or talking to them in person. What are your thoughts?

I think the problem with text messaging/IM is that you can overanalyse responses and misinterpret them. For example, I was texting this girl today, and I said, "I'm still wondering if we are neighbors or not" because she told me that we lived nearby, but she got the wrong end of the stick and thought I meant "are we going out or what?" That wouldn't've happened in a voicecall or face to face conversation. Text conversations also take too long to do what would take so much less time in a normal conversation. You also miss the other aspects of eye contact, body language, tone, and so much more when not face to face.

Sometimes I think it's better going low tech....

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I hate text conversations. I usually only text if someone texts me asking a yes or no question. If it's not a yes or no answer, I just call back and talk to them in person.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I can't stand talking on the phone to the point that if someone calls me, I wait for them to leave a message and then text them back about it. The ringer for my cell phone is off, and my home phone is only for the apartment door or emergencies.

I don't like talking on MSN or via texts much either. I use all my communication devices exclusively as conduits to arrange meetings in person. Most of my messages are "Free today? Want to ___?"

4. DrBunsenHoneyde macrumors member

I agree text messaging and IM programs for me are really horrible when trying to have any sort of conversation which is why most of the time I get friends/relations to sign upto skype or I just call them back. You cannot read the person correctly over both of these methods and always get the wrong end of the conversation.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Women also especially seem to be more comfortable approaching someone in an offensive manner through SMS or IM. I don't know why, but they do, and it's not just on an intimate relationship level, but also on a friendship level as well.

What's also an awkward feeling is having a written word conversation with somebody and then seeing them face to face and find that you have little to talk about.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's because we spend the rest of our time compliant — smiling and agreeing — with the rest of you guys, lest we get labelled as bitches.

And your texting "I'm still wondering if we are neighbors or not" sounds to me like an accusation. Choose your words carefully when writing.

And yes, I far prefer the phone if the 'conversation' extends to more than 1 or 2 replies. I like emails if I need to keep a record if it's a work-related manner.

7. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not saying that applies to all females, in fact, it seems to apply to teenage girls.

That's my point: when you send messages in the written word, your tone can be ambiguous. That wouldn't've happened if I had asked her in person, nor would it have in a phone call.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Even in here, it's dangerous when the meaning isn't conveyed properly. I tend to use smilies more than I would otherwise, just to keep people from thinking that I'm being aggressive.

I will text message when it comes to products. It's the only way to be sure that the other person will know which product it is. It depends on the person, but generally voice communications are better and I'll normally only text with people when they can't hear or my plan minutes are low.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Maybe it's your personality?

I've never come across either of these "issues"...

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

LMCO.

Count me in as another who finds texts to be limited, but isn't that sort of the point? I think that for the majority of folks, texting is used when phone voice isn't a viable option and/or for short snippets.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a few friends who love their phones a little too much. They're the ones trying to kick up txt conversations. Not too keen on them really, much prefer a friendly voice.

When I get on O2 with my iPhone I'll definitely be sending a few more txts though.

12. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Text conversations are great, sometimes. I can be watching the TV or reading a book while texting in the background (say, when the ads come on). This way, I don't have to immerse myself completely in the conversation (to the exclusion of everything else) when I'm not in the mod for it. :D

13. bartelby macrumors Core

I hate talking on the phone, verging on phobia. So I use texts A LOT, but I have cut down. I used to send over 1750 a month, now down to about 400.

14. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Yeah, I send 1000 or so texts a month.. :eek: I'd like to cut down but Orange currently give me unlimited so..

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't mind texting....Whatever floats the boat. I'm not realy much of a talker anyway and sometimes theres not much to say so the text does the job.

Bless

16. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

it all depends on the who, what, where, when and why ;)

I prefer to text because i hate the sound of my own voice.... but, it all depends on the person and seriousness of the subject. If it's an urgent issue... call... but, otherwise, i'd text ;)