Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
On my iPhone 5S Ivan see Text Message Fordwarding under Message but I didn't turn it on yesterday. Until today I was using my iPad Air and open iMessage app then there is pop up message asking if I want text message Fordwarding with code I then turn to iphone and saw the message asking for code. So far it worked. By the way I found odd when my iPhone 5S connected to 4G network while my iPad Air connected to wifi when the text message Fordwarding message popped up.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
The feature is very dodgy at best...I tried to use it earlier in the day but the link was broken...I then tried to "re-link" the two but still no messages were being sent despite the fact that I had received the code and entered the code...I then logged out-of and back-into iMessage on my MBA and things started working again.

This is very frustrating as an end user...came over to OS X / iOS from Windows because Apple was "...just supposed to work..." but not so much with the current releases of Yosemite, iOS 8.0 / 8.0.1 / 8.0.2 / 8.1.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Just an FYI - this will drain your battery. I get a lot of texts and its my number 1 battery hog. Still awesome though.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Still can't get this to work on my iPad -- have done the "e-mail address" thing (both phone and iPad were already set up to use my Gmail address/Apple ID; tried adding my iCloud address on each device as an add'l contact option, but no dice). When I activate Text Msg Forwarding on the phone, it says "enter the code shown on the iPad"... but no code ever appears there.

I am not required to also have my Apple ID associated w/a Mac running Yosemite, am I?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I am not required to also have my Apple ID associated w/a Mac running Yosemite, am I?
I wouldn't be surprised if you do. Are you able to use your Mac with standard iMessages? Does it see your phone number as an option for usage with imessage, and do you have it enabled? In theory, if you can then the forwarding should work as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm getting tired of this feature already. I love the idea of it but I had to enable and email address to make it work.

Well for some reason in certain occasions my phone will use that email when sending an iMessage. I clearly have "start new conversations" on my phone number. However for some reason it doesn't always do that.

To add more frustration to it I can't tell that it did it from the phone. WHY?!?! At least then I could add my name instead of getting a message back that says "Who is this?". Very unprofessional with business clients, and just confusing for everyone. Then I'm making excuses for my phones behavior, ugh.

Aside from disabling this feature does anyone have any idea of what I can do to avoid this from happening?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Aside from disabling this feature does anyone have any idea of what I can do to avoid this from happening?
Send Apple feedback about the problem to make it a priority for them to fix it (there's no iOS feedback category, nor is there one for Messages; probably direct it as iPhone or iPad feedback). This issue has been going on since iMessage was introduced in iOS 5.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I wouldn't be surprised if you do. Are you able to use your Mac with standard iMessages? Does it see your phone number as an option for usage with imessage, and do you have it enabled? In theory, if you can then the forwarding should work as well.

Thanks for the reply. Our Mac is tied to my wife's Apple ID; I guess I could create a new user acct., tied to my own ID, solely for the purpose of testing this out... seems like a bit of a PITA. (Also surprised my phone wouldn't tell me "You need to link your Apple ID to a Mac to make this work" if that is true; or maybe I shouldn't be surprised...)

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Try this: Go to your iPhone Messages settings and turn off iMessages and turn it on again. Then go to the iMessages Settings on your Mac and do the same. After that it worked for me. Also make sure to activate your telephone number in the iMessages settings on your Mac.

Worked for me after 2 restarts! Thanks - although basic in principle!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.