text message to email acct?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laser310, Jun 26, 2009.

1. laser310 macrumors member

on my Motorola Razr, I could send a text message from my phone to an email address. I did not have any email configured on that phone. replies came to my phone as a text message.

for a variety of reasons, i would like to do the same from my iPhone...

i want to send a text message from my phone, to an email address, but i can't even enter an email address in the dialog box for where the text message is to be sent?

just to be clear, i do not want to send an email from my phone, because i want replies to come to my iphone as a text message.

can i do this from an iphone?

2. laser310 thread starter macrumors member

3. pendo macrumors regular

you will be able to do this when MMS becomes available.

You can install the mms .ipcc file that's been floating around for a while now and it will get you set up, you just won't be able to send a mms.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do not know of any way to do this other than using the email application built into the iPhone.

I wonder if there is a way to setup a Reply-To email address (Then just put AT&T's MMS Email gateway) on the iPhone, if there is a way, then this could be a workaround...but I haven't found it.

5. pendo macrumors regular

Oops!!

My bad....I thought you could do this, but I just tried and I get the same red ! that you get when trying to send an mms. Maybe it will work when ATT turns on mms:rolleyes:

6. laser310 thread starter macrumors member

Just to be clear...

the Razr, from which i am able to send a text to an email address _is_ an ATT phone.

so i wonder if the problem is with the network - seems more likely to be the phone..., no?

7. laser310 thread starter macrumors member

sorry to bump this again...

so, it seems that even though it _is_ possible to send a text to email over the ATT network with a Razr, it can not be done with an iPhone.

right?

i'm only asking again because it's pretty important to me...

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

We've got that here in Japan. Maybe they'll do the same in the States ... ?

[​IMG]

9. pendo macrumors regular

No you cannot do this right now. When AT&T turns on the mms switch you will be able