text message unresolved issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saladiro, Jul 30, 2008.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi....i have a 3G, and my question is, how many text messages can my phone store? do they auto delete? do I have to manually delete them?

believe it or not, I called apple support and may have got the dumbest person who works there (all other times they have been GREAT) and she said, "i don know, wait until you get like 100 and see what happens)
    ....crazy

anyway, can anyone help?

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

3. AustinIphoner macrumors member

i have WELL over 100 text messages on mine. ive never "filled up" the text message inbox. i would imagine it just saves it on the memory. So if your memory is full, then your text box will be full. But since a text message doesnt take up very much memory space at all, i wouldnt worry about it.

rough estimate of my text messages, ~800 if not more

4. The General macrumors 601

They don't auto delete, it will tell you that your box is full and that you need to delete some messages.

The limit used to be 1000 before 1.1.3, but I think the limit was lifted and after that I don't think anyone has reached the limit. I think it is the capacity of your phone, so millions of messages I would guess.

5. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

Yea I must have well over 5000 sms messages saved, and still going strong.

6. lukeholl macrumors member

lukeholl

I've seen the limit mentioned on here, something beginning with a 7 I think... 7000, 70000, whatever it is it's ridiculously high :)

7. spetykowski macrumors member

i have well over 5000 text messages in total, but they do auto-delete in individual conversations. i've noticed that text logs between my girlfriend and i seem to dissapear. after every new text, when i scroll to the top of the log one is deleted from the past.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Correct. I hit my limit a few months into my original iPhone and was shocked but I guess I had really added them up. I never even knew there was a limit but apparently I had hit it. It just told me that the mailbox was almost full and to delete or whatever

Glad to hear they lifted it as I didnt know that