Text message with 3G

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Not sure where to post right forum iPad app or here.

Anyway I was toying with 3G enabled to try text message to other non iPad/iPhone but it seems not work. I know iMessage works just fine. Did I miss something?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Not sure where to post right forum iPad app or here.

Anyway I was toying with 3G enabled to try text message to other non iPad/iPhone but it seems not work. I know iMessage works just fine. Did I miss something?
Do you have 3G service? I dont think you can text a standard line with just a iPad data plan, i may be wrong, just throwing stuff out to help.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Get textfree app. You can send SMS text messages to any person using their phone number using your 3G.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
True but still....even BEFORE iMessage came out for iPad what is the point of SMS text app installed on iPad with 3G that does NOT work?!?

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
True but still....even BEFORE iMessage came out for iPad what is the point of SMS text app installed on iPad with 3G that does NOT work?!?
SMS messages aren't transmitted or received on a phone's data band, but on the cellular voice band. iPads and other data-only mobile devices do not have the hardware to handle SMS messaging natively.

Google Voice, TextPlus, etc. just serve as conduit apps that take a text message sent over 2G/3G/4G data and delivers it via cellular bandwidth. And as far as I know, iMessage is NOT SMS.

Polymira

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. There was no messaging/SMS app on the iPad pre iOS 5.0. iOS 5.0 introduced iMessages.