Text Messages Auto-Deleting

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by The Merg, Apr 23, 2017.

1. The Merg macrumors member

The Merg

My son has an iPhone SE with iOS v10.3. He is finding that his text message threads are deleting after about a week. If we look in the Message app, all the threads that he has conversed with people are there, but the messages within the threads are gone. I've checked his Message settings and there is no setting where messages would be deleted after a week. Also, he has plenty of space available on his phone, so it's not a memory issue.

Has anyone else seen this happen on their phone?

Thanks,
    Merg

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Try checking again the imessage settings for "keep messages". There are three options: forever, 30 days or 1 year. While you said you already checked that, it doesn't hurt to look again.

FWIW, I've never had any imessages delete on their own. There is also the possibility there is a bug somewhere.

3. The Merg thread starter macrumors member

The Merg

Yup. It was set for 1 year and I even updated it to Forever. I've never seen this issue before either.

- Merg

4. I7guy macrumors G5

5. The Merg thread starter macrumors member

The Merg

6. I7guy macrumors G5

It would be on the senders phone to expire the messages after a time period.

7. The Merg thread starter macrumors member

The Merg

Yeah, not for all these different people and for ALL of his messages, to include ones with me.

- Merg

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Maybe backup the phone with itunes and then perform an itunes restore, something may have been corrupted within imessage.

9. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

or maybe he's deleting all the messages intentionally.. because he doesn't want you to go thru his phone

10. cswifx Suspended

cswifx

If he has ever reset his settings (without the content), the Messages app auto-delete resets and it automatically deletes anything within the default settings. You may want to check that.