text messages corrupted after restore but full storage space taken up; negative/zero kb conversation

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by AlliHeathe, Feb 10, 2019.

1. AlliHeathe macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

iPhone X on is11 (before iOS.4 or whatever when messages in iCloud started)

Since Apple has now been completely unable to find a solution and I am stuck, I think it’s time for me to try another way

My iPhone crashed and restored itself (potentially from it sitting and entering the wrong password multiple times by me holding it and not looking at it)

Bought an additional iPhone XS to be able to test without losing info

Restored to an iCloud backup same day and texts messages came back corrupted, shows name but no preview, history doesn’t load, empty attachments, older texts 2014 to 2010 seem most corrupted - but size on phone 20GB seems accurate.

Restored to an iTunes backup from 2 months ago, exact same thing happened.

This issue was never a problem before the phone crashed.

I took my old 6S on ios9 where all the texts are normal and backed up to iCloud and tried to restore to that, and literally the same thing happened despite the information being uncorrupted before backup.

I thought I was just making bad backups, but using the old phone proves that isn’t true. I think somehow the newer versions of iOS11 (not out of box, whatever I had) and all of ios12 have issues reading text data prior to a certain operating system from a backup.

I am completely stuck and have no idea where to go from here. So are apple senior advisers (4 involved at this point) - they’re pushing the problem to their engineers. Please help!

2. gigapocket1, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Hmmmmmmmm. Sooo you have 1 phone with all the information on it? Correct? Uncorrupted?

Are you using a Mac or a PC?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    What I would do is turn on iCloud messaging on one of the phones with the corrupted backup as just a test... see if it says uploading to iCloud with a progress bar in the messaging app...
    if it does.. then I would let it do it’s thing.. may take a day to complete on Wi-Fi.. and then restore that phone. Set up as new for a test.. and turn on iCloud messages and see if it downloads your messages.

3. AlliHeathe thread starter macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

Mac. 3 phones for now. iPhone XS, X, and 6S. The X has all my info current except texts are broken and 6S has everything fine but back to nov 2017.

I did that already on the X, and it seemed to make it worse bc the local storage taken up by my messages dropped to 7GB from 20GB so I think it started to delete corrupted parts

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

It doesn’t delete corrupted parts.. it just deletes what hasn’t been used etc after that part has been uploaded... i think your messages may be safe in the cloud.. but the only way to taste is to turn it on a new device. Or fresh Installed device... you could create a new account on your Mac and turn on iCloud messages on that account and see what it downloads

5. AlliHeathe thread starter macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

I just did that on the iPhone XS, only 560MB came back after running it from like 5PM to 7AM out of 20GB. So it’s definately not there. The information is in iTunes backups on my computer but I don’t think ios12 can read the older messages correctly

6. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

So the issue is that corrupt data that is processed over the cloud can be lost during encryption. Best case, it is effectively random to recover information. Worst case, the data has already been lost. I'm speaking as a computer expert (about to graduate with a CS/BA degree.

7. AlliHeathe thread starter macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

I took a perfectly working old 6S and created a new backup on iTunes that 100% isn’t corrupted. The data is there and on the phone when it restores. The operating system just doesn’t know how to read it correctly and I don’t know why or how to make it do so. So yes, some is corrupted, but that doesn’t explain this scenario

8. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I hear both of yall arguments.. but iCloud messages and iCloud backup is two completely different ways of backing up messages...
    iCloud messages seems to backup messages individually or by thread.. it doesn’t backup per say the database..
    so it would at least backup everything that is readable... and you would be able to restore it...
    hence why I say turn on iCloud messages backup... sign into a new user account on your computer. And turn on iCloud messages... and see what it restores...
    If you get data... then restore a phone as new... not from a backup.. sign in to iCloud messages and the messages should start appearing.

9. AlliHeathe thread starter macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

I am totally aware of that. As I said, I did that. When restoring from iCloud messages to my phone after I restored from a backup that didn’t include messages, none of the attachments came through, texts didn’t show up past nov 2017, and random others were missing, out of order, and broken. Only 560mb of messages out of 20GB came back. When I run it from an iTunes backup with the messages in it, at least it gets the full 20GB.

The iCloud messages thing has only been functional with my phone after this all started because I originally hadn’t been on iOS11.4 when it was first available.

10. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Corrupt data can be lost during the encryption process, whether or not it's iCloud. Maybe Apple has a backup server for your messages, but that's beyond our capability

11. gigapocket1, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

iCloud messages won’t download all your messages and attachments. It just loads it as needed... if you turn on iCloud messages on the device that has everything after 2017... it’ll combine the 2 databases... (I’ve done it).
    And you can see the difference between my iCloud message database in the cloud and the space it takes up on my phone
    CB5262D7-5EE3-476F-B12C-277CF5DE03C9.png A7C685EF-DE13-4FB5-96A2-D9FE5BAC78E2.png

12. AlliHeathe thread starter macrumors newbie

AlliHeathe

I eventually figured that out - wish Apple explained it immediately, but I restored from a backup of the current up to date phone and deleted texts instantly match, but the new ones aren’t coming to the phone