text messages have forgotten the names

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Oct 14, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

Help - I upgraded to the iPhone 4S from the iPhone 4 and everything appears to have worked fine but my when I look at my text messages, it only shows the telephone numbers, not the names of the contacts. And when I look in my Contacts, I noticed that the telephone numbers are there but they are not formatted. Just the numbers like 7035551212.

I think I probably screwed up with how I set everything up (MacBook Pro first, then iPad, then iPhone 4S) with my iCloud settings. I have an Apple ID for my iTunes purchases and another ID for my MobileMe account which I have already transferred to iCloud.

I must have done something wrong. How do I fix this??

2. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind. I fixed it myself. I decided to contact Apple and have them cancel my MobileMe account. And then I pointed everything - Apple Store, iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage, etc - to my one and only Apple ID - the original one I created way back when. And this cleared things up somehow. Phew! And yay! I avoided a restore!

3. tifhill macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I too experienced Contact and Text Message phone numbers without names and with only 10-digit numbers without spaces, dashes, and parentheses e.g. xxxxxxxxxx upon setup of my new iPhone 4S. I too have a different email address for iCloud (@me.com) vs. iTunes store, but after letting iCould work its magic for 24 hours, eventually everything sorted itself out without having to consolidate emails. Whew, because my iTunes store email address is my husbands (we share/network all bought content), so I didn't have the option of cancelling my @me.com email address and going with my husband's!