Text Messages Over 160 Characters

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ckurt25, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

So today I noticed that I received a text from my GF that was over 160 characters (around 300) that showed up on my iPhone 4 as 1 text. She was texting from a BB Torch on AT&T. I replied to her and made sure the reply was over 160 and it showed up on her device as 1 message as well. I'm pretty sure when I get texts from iPhone owners (maybe only iPhone 4) with over 160 characters that it comes as 1 message but everyone else it splits them up. I haven't tested with anyone else to see if it was device or network specific. I looked at FAQs on AT&Ts site and it still sounded like it should spilt them up. Anyone know for sure what should be happening? Its not a big deal - just curious.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Smarter phones will recombine larger messages as one when recieved. Dumber phones, like cheap LG ones, will show them as two different messages and/or send them as two different messages.

3. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I've gotten texts on my iPhone from people (with dumb phones) when they were over 160 and they were seperated. At least I'm 99% sure the sender didn't manually send them as two.

I've also gotten texts from someone with an android phone on AT&T and its been the same result - 2 messages and again, 99% sure the sender didn't manually split them.